Tilt-shift Lens

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm building my wish list for this fall and a tilt-shift lense for my nikon looks likely. Anyone on the forum have something like it? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

i haven't used the Nikkor T/S lenses, but I have used the Canon 90mm T/S. It has it proposes, but I think they're few.

i haven't used the Nikkor T/S lenses, but I have used the Canon 90mm T/S. It has it proposes, but I think they're few.

I'm thinking T/S to combat high and gusting wind conditions in landscapes and maintain depth of field while using higher iso and faster shutter speeds. Possibly in combination with using ND filters. I'm just tired of losing shots to the wind in long exposures. Make sense?- Ideas?

I'm thinking T/S to combat high and gusting wind conditions in landscapes and maintain depth of field while using higher iso and faster shutter speeds. Possibly in combination with using ND filters. I'm just tired of losing shots to the wind in long exposures. Make sense?- Ideas?

Forgive me for being obtuse, but how is T/S going to combat any of those problems?

cool, i was wondering the same thing as max . . . looks like i have some reading to do!

the wind conditions though? i don't understand, fill me in!

ok . . . i clearly know nothing about optics.

looks like i've got more reading to do than expected!

oh wait, same dof with a larger aperture? . . . resulting in shorter shutter speeds, and less movement from wind?

oh wait, same dof with a larger aperture? . . . resulting in shorter shutter speeds, and less movement from wind?

That's what I've been thinking. I can do pretty good snapping between gusts, but with the long shutter speeds, and especially multiple exposures I lose too often.

BTW, thanks for the link LP. Now my guts don't feel so bad looking at these. :)

call me stupid... but when shooting landscapes, do you NEED greater DOF at lower apertures? isnt it all going to be in focuz if you're focused at infinity?

no . . . because not everything is that far away.

edit
and by no i meant yes, dummy moment

dangit just read what abraxas wrote, thats what i meant. . . . just without explaining. holy cow i cannot figure out a way to get this thought out.

... but when shooting landscapes, do you NEED greater DOF at lower apertures? isnt it all going to be in focuz if you're focused at infinity?

Yes, insane DOF is essential and focus is not always at infinity because there are things closer like rocks, sticks, flowers, beer cans and bushes and streams etc. In the case of my 10-20mm, vertically, often my little toes and tripod leg.

Tilting the lense will bring near and far objects into better focus and produce a more acceptable DOF and allow a larger aperture. With the larger aperture faster shutter speeds can be used limiting uncontrolled motion (blurred objects from wind).

I have to look into the benefits of shifting.

I think I'm getting into something, or times and lighting that is fractional. My favorite photos are right at, and a little beyond sunset, multiple exposures (sometimes totalling nearly 2 minutes) at f38 and iso 100.

Ideally I'd like to go to using a graduated neutral density filter, iso 50 and small aperture (f22+). The wind is "blowing" it. ( :biglaugh: )

Most reactions

Back