Time for a new lens

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by keaja, Sep 17, 2003.

1. keaja

keaja TPF Noob!

Hey everyone!
    Well, I get my paycheck Friday and am tempted to get a new lens. I have a 28-90mm lense that came with my Nikon 65, Which I bought in july.
    I talked to the lady at my local Ritz Camera, and she recommended I go for a 70-300 MM Lens, as I wont lose speed, and I will gain zoom.

To me, speed is one of the most important things. Almost all of my pictures are of planes, or from a plane. I took alot of pictures in San diego if airliners landing, but alot of them came out blurry, I don't know whether it was my lens, or whether the fact that I was only using 400 Speed Film.
    I know if I get too much zoom, I will probably need a tripod. Pretty hard to fit a tripod into the cockpit of the plane types I fly lol.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a good combination of speed, and zoom.

I saw this, http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...0001&langId=-1&productId=7398976&cmCat=SEARCH But I might break the bank :D

Any suggestions on good amount of zoom, and speed? So far it seems like that lense might be the best choice for me.

Another idea I had, was to have different lens for different applications. Like a 70-300MM for in the air and moving targets, and a bigger lens for on the ground. The problem I encountered with a lense for the ground, is I need a fast lens, but good zoom. I checked out the Sigma 600mm-1000mm but it seems like it would be too slow.

Today, I was flying out of Sacramento with my instructor, and we kept going on a course of west. 40 minutes later, we leave the valley, and I see the San Francisco Bay. It was a simply breahtaking view, saw the golden gate and everything. Unfortunetly I didn't have my camera. I wanna bring it tomorrow though :) On our way back, we flew by Travis Air Force Base, and I saw a C-5 Galaxy takeoff. It was amazing, it looked like it was just hovering in mid air.

Thanks guys!

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well you're not going to get a fast lens if you buy a zoom lens. At the longest focal length you're going to get f5.6 or higher. Unless you spending mucho $$$

Oh, that lens you posted is F6.3 at 500mm. Also that is a HUGE amount of zoom. It may not be as sharp as you would like.

3. keaja

keaja TPF Noob!

4. voodoocat

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you look at the f # listed on the lens you can see what the f-stop range is. This lens is 135-400MM F4.5-5.6 which means at 135mm your lowest aperature is 4.5 at 400mm it is 5.6.

5. keaja

keaja TPF Noob!

So the lower the F# the faster it is correct? Sorry im a newb :D

6. voodoocat

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You got it!

Speaking in terms of fast....

I don't think anything slower than 3.5 could be considered fast. I don't think you're going to find a long focal length lens that will be that fast, unless you spent some major money. Just looking at keh.com's used selection.

Longest zoom from nikkor appears to be an 80-400 F4.5-5.6 for about $1500

500mm F4 lens ~$6,000

400mm F2.8 lens ~$5,000

300mm F4 lens ~$400

As far as non-nikkor lenses go, the longer focal length lenses seem to be fairly slow

7. keaja

keaja TPF Noob!

Sweet thanks alot. I am going to take my camera with me tomorrow, and pick up some 800 film to see how the pictures come out.
    If they come out clear and clean, then I will probably pick up that 70-300mm lense, I think its only like $170.

Thanks alot!

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the most important second lens a 35mm photographer can have is a fast 50mm lens. A 50mm f/2 will be dirt cheap, and faster won't be much more. It's small so it takes up very little room in your bag, and it's very versatile.

I won't leave home without mine.

9. voodoocat

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I totally agree. I have a 1.7 50mm lens and 90% of my photos are taken with it. It's so damn sharp.

10. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use my Pentax(K mount) 50mm f/1.7 all the time. I mean, I love my zoom lens during the day, but f/5.6 just doesn't cut it at night. It cost me $25.

I have an adapter that lets me use Pentax screwmount lenses on my K mount cameras. I picked up a screwmount 50mm f/1.4 for $18. It has a radioactive inner element that has turned yellow. But it's okay by me because I just shoot BW with it. Besides, the bands I shoot dig it when I'm screwing this ancient hunk of glass and metal onto a modern camera body, and I'm telling them how I'm breaking out the special radioactive lens just for them.

11. keaja

keaja TPF Noob!

Hey guys,
    This 50MM seems very cool. I looked in Ritzcamera.com and they want $200 for this piece :shock: Does anyone know of a reputable dealer online I can order a 50MM 1.7F, for a Nikon 65?
    Thanks!

12. voodoocat

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since Ritz took 10 days to get me my slides, I decided to forget them. They are high priced.

keh.com has quite a few Ex+ for less than $100. and a new one for $110.