Time for a new lens

Darton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok it's time for a new lens, what should I get? I want something with a low f/stop to take those really intense shots. I Have a 30D and want to stay with a canon lens unless there is smomething else that is JUST as good. Cost? I'd like to keep it around 400 or less. I'll probably use this lens to shoot portriats like senior pictures. OK so help me out please.

to take those really intense shots

No idea what that means ;)

I'd like to keep it around 400 or less. I'll probably use this lens to shoot portriats like senior pictures. OK so help me out please.

A fast lens for 400 (EUROS? pounds?) ? In that price region you will probably have to go for a prime, at least among Canon zooms you will not find a good fast zoom for that money.

The 50mm f/1.4 is quite nice for portrait, and within that price range.

There are plenty of options. The Canon 50mm F1.8 is very affordable, but has a lot of plastic rather than metal, in it's construction. Pretty good image quality. The 50mm F1.4 is a little 'faster' (larger aperture) and it's built much better. A lot more expensive though.

There is the Canon 85mm F1.8. All around a great lens for a good price. Maybe a bit tight (long) for close range portraits but good if you have room to work.

On the wider end, there are some good options as well. Canon makes a 35mm F2.0 (I think) and a 28mm F1.8...or something like that. There is the 35mm F1.4 L, but it's two or three times your budget. Sigma makes a very nice lens, the 30mm F1.4...I have it and it's fantastic, very sharp images.

By "intense shots" I mean wide aperture shots and a budget around $400 usd.

Thanks for your help.

By "intense shots" I mean wide aperture shots and a budget around $400 usd.

OK if USD, then maybe used lenses are an option. Either the 50mm f/1.4 I suggested earlier, or if you want a zoom, the sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is not a bad lens, not as good as the 50mm of course, but good value for money. And the sigma lens usually is much cheaper second hand. The price drop with canons is much less.

I was going to suggest the 300/2.8 until I read your
I'd like to keep it around 400 or less
. :lol:

Maybe saving all your money and getting this wonderful lens should be a priority?

I just picked up the Tamron 17-50 2.8 to go with my 30d and have been very impressed with it. No, its not a Canon but it was under $400. The Canon equivalent is 3 times that much. Its a great lense in my opinion. I also have the Canon 50mm 1.8 and would recommend picking it up as well since you can get it for around $70 and it is a great piece of glass. The bodies not so great but then again its only $70.

ok I did I bought a new lens. I got the Canon 50mm f1.8. It was cheap like 70 bones. made pretty cheaply i.e. all plastic construction but it takes ssweet shots. I'll buy the more expensive 50mm f1.4 now. but this was a good lens for helping me choose and it didn't break the bank and will be a good back up lens. thanks for all your sugestions

ok I did I bought a new lens. I got the Canon 50mm f1.8. It was cheap like 70 bones. made pretty cheaply i.e. all plastic construction but it takes ssweet shots. I'll buy the more expensive 50mm f1.4 now. but this was a good lens for helping me choose and it didn't break the bank and will be a good back up lens. thanks for all your sugestions

That's pretty much what I was gonna suggest. the 50 1.8 or 1.4
Both great lenses...
I want a 50 1.4...but I don't have the funds right now... :(

looking at your current lineup of lenses, you have pretty bad quality budget lenses, so get a 50mm 1.4 and treat yourself to super sharp images with high contrast. And a very bright viewfinder compared to what you're used to.

looking at your current lineup of lenses, you have pretty bad quality budget lenses, so get a 50mm 1.4 and treat yourself to super sharp images with high contrast. And a very bright viewfinder compared to what you're used to.

LOL I plan to.

Remember also it's not the lens that produces those "intense" shots. A lot has to do with you and how you set-up those shots. Isolate the subject, control DOF, etc. to produce those shots. It's more you than the equipment. The best gear in the world is not going to make you a better photographer.

Most reactions

Back