Time for Food

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is from the first shoot in a new series I am beginning. I want to document all the locallly owned restaurants here in shreveport. At the moment i'm shooting just the building (and am considering indoor shots to add interest.) I'm interested in two fold critiques on this image. #1 do you think this project will be interesting as a series of shots like this one (i.e. b/t 20 and 40 different locations.)
#2 go ahead and critique this image also. My two qualms about this one are is it level? and is the blown out sky too much?

Also noteworthy is that the project is actually being shot wiht my Yashica 124G, but i shot some digital b/c i can't stand not having instant gratification anymore.

herby1_web.jpg

The road line is level but the angle makes everything else off axis. But if you straighten the verticals then the horizon line goes. With the leaning telegraph pole I think leveling it up doesn't matter - how do you feel about it? If you don't like it then reshoot.
The sky is burnt out so a reshoot with a better sky would be worth it.
If something is worth doing, it's worth doing a reshoot.

tr0gd0o0r said:
... but i shot some digital b/c i can't stand not having instant gratification anymore.

Ha!
Someone else suffering from "The Syndrome" ;) :) :D :lol: :biglaugh:

Those digital cameras get you, don't they?

As to the photo in question, I think frame is not well enough filled with what your really want to show. You are too far away. You should either crop, or re-shoot and get closer - and if you go for a reshoot, you can wait for some different weather and light and maybe get a less non-descript sky... or you avoid getting sky into you photo at all.

The idea is great and goes with an idea that I have had in my head for almost a year now, i.e. to start a thread over in the Photo Themes on Pub Fronts... I have a good many Irish Pubs "in store" and would then go out to take local pubs or watering holes or so, too. So yes, I quite like your overall idea!

I think the project is a great idea. You'll be documenting tomorrow's history. Your local Historical Society would probably be interested in a copy of your shots along with the address of each restaurant and the date on which you took the shot.

As for this shot, I like it although the tilted building bothers me and would probably benefit from a reshoot. I like the fact that the shot includes some (but not too much) of the surrounding area; it puts the eatery in a context.

Love the idea for a series. Get close. Much closer. and from a guy who has a Yashica and doesn't shoot digital. Shoot B&W and use the Yashica. :)

Hertz van Rental said:
The road line is level but the angle makes everything else off axis. But if you straighten the verticals then the horizon line goes. With the leaning telegraph pole I think leveling it up doesn't matter - how do you feel about it? If you don't like it then reshoot.
The sky is burnt out so a reshoot with a better sky would be worth it.
If something is worth doing, it's worth doing a reshoot.

i agree. your exposure of the structure is dead-on so trying other settings wont help much with the sky. for skies, i tend to go searching a few hours after a decent storm. by then the clouds are breaking up; the sun's popping through and creating awesome colors, rays etc.

your project will be worth the effort for years to come! good luck!

and from a guy who has a Yashica and doesn't shoot digital. Shoot B&W and use the Yashica

I am using the yashica, but im shooting color. (I have quite a few rolls of film and I need a reason to shoot it or i'll never pay to get it developed) I just used the digitall to see how things were going.

On the sky issue, the burnt out sky was my major problem with this. Any suggestions on getting the exposure to be about the same as the exposure for the sky? (I shot this close to sunset when the sun was low enough to put the building in shadow (but i'm not sure if it was completely set or not) What conditions should I look for to have the same exposure on building and sky?

Most reactions

Back