Time for my first SLR

Hey people way to turn someone on to photography... so the guy posted three times... did it take that much time out of everyones schedule to just skip by one or two of them?...Jesus H people are so critical sometimes...

As per the original issue the OP had... I personally am turned off by Nikons approach with the D40 or D40X so IMO I would look into the D80 and or used/left over D50 and D70 series...

The D40 may be a beginners camera but they left out being able to AF some of the more used lenses... not that its a HUGE deal if you dont mind using manual focus... but its something to consider if you want the most out of what you are paying for...

I agree with what Orgnoi1 said exactly.
I told you in a previous posting of this ? that you shoudl use what your using and just save up the extra cash to get the D80.
In hindsight I rushed into the D80 but wish now that I would have waited one more week and got the D200.

So have patience and just wait to get the camera you wont outgrow any time soon.

Btw... I dont regret the D80 because it is a bad camera. Quite the contrary. The reason for wanting the D200 is over environmental considerations and the fact it is weather sealed.

They no doubt set it up that way to give entry level folks a reason to upgrade:

"Hey, if you want to use those old lenses without AF on em - hop on over to the D80!"

Smart from a business sense, since anyone buying the D40x probably isn't too concerned about that at the beginning.

But as I've mentioned in the other thread, stupid from a financial sense.

I bought an AF 105mm f/2.8 MicroNikkor second hand from someone who just upgraded to the AF-S VR model. There's more than $1000AU difference between what I paid him second hand, and what the AF-S cost new and except for the VR the lenses are almost the same. That alone makes the D80 CHEAPER than the D40.

Most reactions

Back