Time for some new equipment (suggestions/opinions needed)

ReInvented2012

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone. I am looking to make some new purchases and start to take this hobby more serious. I want to get a tripod and at least one new lens. I am working with a Canon T3i now and the 18/55mm kit lens. I enjoy landscape photography mostly, but want to get into portraits, weddings and maybe some macro for fun.

These are the tripods I am considering
Manfrotto BeFree
Vanguard Alta Pro

These are the lenses
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Canon 50mm
Tamron 90mm Macro

I know each lens serves its own purpose/has its own uses. So I guess I am wondering if these are good lenses for what I want to do, and if there is a more affordable option for any of them (something I doubt). I also considered going used from Amazon on all this stuff to help save some money. If you have to choose just 2 lenses which would they be.

And just to try and get everything answered at once, should I get an external flash, or any filters (I like shooting sunsets/sunrises), lens hoods, etc. Just looking for some basic suggestions for this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Manfrotto BeFree is VERY lightweight and is a 3-leg-locks per leg design, which means much smaller size for carrying, but more leg locks to malfunction, and more leg locks to adjust. It weighs about 4 pounds with its shipping container and carry case and strap...so...I think "flimsy", but usable for groups shots and such. The Vanguard is almost 50% heavier, and is a 2-leg-locks per leg design with a maximum height of 68 inches, so it's longer to carry, and is probably marginally steadier. Neither of these are designed for ultimate stability, but they will slow you down, and allow you to look at your compositions more, and do that tripod type of duty. Not every single tripod duty involves maximum stability; a tripod can be used as a compositional aid and a camera-holder/hands-free-er-upper, and that's what these are for, plus the occasional self-timer type shot, group shots, etc..

Honestly, neither looks worth $200 to me, and for the compact, 3-section leg type duty, the $46 Dolica on eBay looks like a viable alternative to the Bogen, to me, with a $150 cost savings.

Lenses: ANY new lens you get will expand your capabilities...anything. I would pass on the 50mm though, and get one of the two zooms first, then the macro lens second.

The Manfrotto BeFree is VERY lightweight and is a 3-leg-locks per leg design, which means much smaller size for carrying, but more leg locks to malfunction, and more leg locks to adjust. It weighs about 4 pounds with its shipping container and carry case and strap...so...I think "flimsy", but usable for groups shots and such. The Vanguard is almost 50% heavier, and is a 2-leg-locks per leg design with a maximum height of 68 inches, so it's longer to carry, and is probably marginally steadier. Neither of these are designed for ultimate stability, but they will slow you down, and allow you to look at your compositions more, and do that tripod type of duty. Not every single tripod duty involves maximum stability; a tripod can be used as a compositional aid and a camera-holder/hands-free-er-upper, and that's what these are for, plus the occasional self-timer type shot, group shots, etc..

Honestly, neither looks worth $200 to me, and for the compact, 3-section leg type duty, the $46 Dolica on eBay looks like a viable alternative to the Bogen, to me, with a $150 cost savings.

Lenses: ANY new lens you get will expand your capabilities...anything. I would pass on the 50mm though, and get one of the two zooms first, then the macro lens second.

Thank you for you suggestions. Is there a tripod you would recommend that would be better at that range of $200?

Sorry, I don't have any tripod suggestions for you in that price range. I tend toward large, heavy, expensive tripods and I prefer two-section legs, and my tripod market awareness is in no way up-to-date. There are loads of different models on the market, as a web search or visit to B&H Photo or Adorama will show. Tripods are kind of tricky to evaluate on-line. I just do not know what is on the market at the $200 price range in today's constantly-shifting marketplace.

Used tripods are one option, from the biggest retailers or Craigslist.

I really like my Slik 500DX tripod. The legs sell for $100 but without a head. It's pretty good for the money (from my experience, but I haven't tried tons of tripods).
and for $150 (35% off right now) you can get one with a "good" 3-way head (some ppl like Ball Heads) ==> Slik Pro 500-HD w Pro 500-DX Tripod Legs and SH736 Head 615-501

There's many other brands in that price range you just have to search and do your research.

This isn't my only tripod though, I have a much bigger and heavier and more sturdy one too.

I recommend the Vanguard tripod, I have one and like it. As for a lens, like @Derrel said, any lens is going to expand your capabilities. I think I would recommend getting the Tamron 70-300 VC, that's a really good lens and very simular to my Nikon 70-300 VR. If you find yourself having some extra money left, then grab the 50 1.8 too.

Weddings?

Hobby?

Really?

Oh, maybe if you are a wedding crasher with a penchant for being thrown out on your ear, yeah, o.k., I can see that.

Is there a tripod you would recommend that would be better at that range of $200?

Purchase a used $500 tripod for $200.

I really like my Slik 500DX tripod. The legs sell for $100 but without a head. It's pretty good for the money (from my experience, but I haven't tried tons of tripods).
and for $150 (35% off right now) you can get one with a "good" 3-way head (some ppl like Ball Heads) ==> Slik Pro 500-HD w Pro 500-DX Tripod Legs and SH736 Head 615-501

There's many other brands in that price range you just have to search and do your research.

This isn't my only tripod though, I have a much bigger and heavier and more sturdy one too.

Hmm it said 2-way head in the description, but I can see the up sides to a ball head so maybe I will look for a tripod with that. Thanks for the input.

I recommend the Vanguard tripod, I have one and like it. As for a lens, like @Derrel said, any lens is going to expand your capabilities. I think I would recommend getting the Tamron 70-300 VC, that's a really good lens and very simular to my Nikon 70-300 VR. If you find yourself having some extra money left, then grab the 50 1.8 too.

The 70-300 seems to be a good option for me and what I want to do. I have always heard good things about the 50mm for an entry level lens, so yea its an option. Thanks for the help :)

Weddings?

Hobby?

Really?

Oh, maybe if you are a wedding crasher with a penchant for being thrown out on your ear, yeah, o.k., I can see that.

Is there a tripod you would recommend that would be better at that range of $200?

Purchase a used $500 tripod for $200.

I sense some humor there :) but I wasnt saying weddings was the hobby. I am saying that its starting as a hobby and that weddings might be an area I get into in the future. But yea I would love to find a $500 tripod for $200 used, I am keeping my options opened. So if you can offer some help in that direction I would appreciate it. But if not, well you better have some more humor for me lol.

KEH, Adorama, B&H

If none of these have a nice deal just now, check back in about a week, and keep looking until you see one.

Also place a "want" ad on the "buy and sell" forum here.

KEH, Adorama, B&H

If none of these have a nice deal just now, check back in about a week, and keep looking until you see one.

Also place a "want" ad on the "buy and sell" forum here.

I cant believe I found this deal, a $340 tri-pod for $178...Thoughts on this product, has great reviews.

So...looking at the Benro Backpacker....with its FIVE twist locks per leg...so, only fifteen frigging locks to un-lock and lock, to get to full height. Which leads the typical user to just say, "Screw it...the camera's fine where it is right now, at THIS height! " See, that's the essential issue with a tripod designed to be compact for CARRY and for being stowed...the overall length is made very short, at the expense of a whole series of three, or four, or even FIVE leg logs, per leg. On a tiny 'pod, that means that even a moderate height adjustment or repositioning of the camera entails at least SIX leg lock adjustments...

THIS issue is why there are two, three, four, and five-section designs on the market. The more you actually USE a tripod, the more valuable it is to have fewer leg locks and sections to worry about, in all ways (stability,rigidity,lock life,speed of positioning, ease of leveling,etc). The more you PACK a tripod, the more valuable it "might be" to you to go with a lighter weight and shorter overall length.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back