Time It Takes For You To Sort Through Photo's

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by BoxPhotographer, Dec 26, 2009.

1. BoxPhotographer

BoxPhotographer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Personally, I take usually 500-1000 every session. After choosing rought 50-150 good ones I start editing a little bit. My workflow is to upload to Bridge, 5 star the good ones, bring them into Photoshop CS3, crop, edit etc, then convert to Jpeg. This takes takes roughly 1-2 hours usually while I'm watching television. How long and how do you guys do it?

2. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I think it depends. If you are doing a wedding or portrait session, it could take weeks to edit. If I'm just out doing my own photography, I personally edit the photos throughout the following week...the ones I liked the most of course.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    How long is a session?

In an 1 hour session if I'm really cranking them out I might shoot 75-100 images. It's more like 50-60 an hour.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have found that the more I shoot in a given time, the worse my pictures are. If I shoot 200 pictures in an hour, I'll be lucky to have 100 that are even worth a second look.
    100 in an hour, maybe 60 will be good.
    Guess what happens if I only shoot 50 or less - almost all keepers.

All I'm saying is this - slow down and think about what you're doing. You'll be glad you did later.

5. BoxPhotographer

BoxPhotographer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Can be 2-5 hours. Not always 500-1000, but most of the time.

6. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The few times I have got to go out and shoot it took me like 2 hours or so to sort through about 100 photos (I was out shooting for about 2 hours)

I am dying to go take more pictures but it has been raining or snowing the whole week!!!!!! I need some sun!

7. Shockey

Shockey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well when shooting people it is way different than other subjects. When I shoot a wedding I take about 100 pictures an hour about the same for portrait sessions.
    So if I have 1000 from a wedding I go through them in the camera and usually end up with about 700 good ones. I probably spend an hour or two deleting in camera to get to that number.
    I process them each in Lightroom, I process about 100 an hour.
    For portrait sessions I shoot about 300 and get delete down to about 150, then process them all in Lightroom in a couple hours.
    Landscapes or general photography is way different. I might take 1000 and only get about 50 that I feel are worth processing, I am way pickier than with people pictures. Again probably an hour or two deleting in camera to get to that number.