Time To Buy A Camera

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive asked in the past about which camera to get but at that time I really had no way of getting the camera. Now I do. I could get a camera as early as tonight but if I have to I can wait. A moderate price savings really isnt going to make me wait though, so if I can get the same camera locally I will likely do that.

For a long time the Nikon D50 has been the camera that I have wanted. I now have the money to get this but since I do...I have started to look at other cameras. The D70 is only a couple hundred more but that might be a stretch. I can get the Olympus EVOLT E-500 for 769 with a 100 dollar rebate, which comes with 2 lenses. The D50 I found also comes with 2 lenses and a variety of other things.

I want something that will take me from a point and shoot photographer to something serious. I know that the camera will not give me great shots. I have to build the experience to do that. However, I want something that is going to get me to the point that I CAN take great shots.

Is the D50 a suitable camera? Is it so old that I should look at some of the newer cameras? If I had an 800 dollar price limit...what would you buy?

If you aren't already using it, have you thought about 35mm? Film makes people learn REAL QUICK. The thing with film is that even though you can't see what you've done seconds after taking a shot, you learn what you need to do more dramatically when you see your prints.

Also, with 35mm, you'll be alot more concentrated on your composition because you only have 12, 24, or 36 exposures. That way, you'll want to get the most out of your spent money by at least trying to make good shots instead of just shooting 36 exposures really quick off the bat like people do with digital equipment.

Go for a D50 if you have experience with SLR's or just want to jump the gun (IMO) and go straight to digital (I think everyone should start out on film). For DSLR's, the D50 is a great beginners camera, albeit a bit small.

Most reactions

Back