Time to Buy my first medium format camera!

by the way maxbloom, I know that you will reply to this message, because you never leave your computer You are not a real photographer.

:drool:

love cassie

Of course not. I'm a pretend photographer. One who is very confused at the moment. I have no idea what that means.

alexknudsen
What are your intended uses for the camera? Are you using it for handheld, street, studio, landscape....?

Starting with MF, you need to get some facts straight. These are professional cameras, not home owner snap shot cameras. The older TLRs came in a few different flavors. The Rolies were travel cameras with meters n use amenaties. Since they were built so well. many were used as professioanal cameras and are very sought after to this day but not all. Only the ones with the finner lenses, not the cheaper ones. So if you want a good Rolie, you will pay $2000 or more today.

Mamiya TLRs were built for the industry. They are work horses meant to be used on a daily basis for the rest of your life. They have fine lenses and still get a good price today. A lens can run you $200 alone. The bodies and basic kits can be found in good shape for around $200.

Now we get to the Bronica you mentioned, the ETRS. It's a fine camera adn will last you long long time. It's rugged and the lenses are great no matter which line you get. There are enough parts available since so many cameras were made and sold. There are so many of these cameras around that you can find em relativesly cheap, a kit for about $250 in good condition.

The RB67 is a Sherman tank. It was meant to do battle. That is one heck of a camera in terms of being professional. The lenses are all great, rgardless of series and what people say about coatings. That camera will serve you till the end of time with very little care. It will need some maintenance and care but that goes for any professioanl camera being used by amatures. The cost of maintenance on any pro camera will not justify the cost adn that is why you see so many of these going so cheap sicne the dawn of digital.

Put it this way.... your RB lens n shutter may need to be cleaned n lubed. That can cost $150 on a 90mm lens. You can buy another used 90mm lens from KEH in BGN condition for $65. Would you do the CLA or sell it as a dusty lens for $50?

Of all the starter cameras, I recomend the ETRS. It's small(er) and a very reliable SLR needing very little maintenance. Is modular enough to make it anything you desire.

BUT!... you will need a meter regardless of the camera you buy. Don't rely on built in meters, they are too old to be reliable.

just picked up a mamiya c330 pro for 150 with the whole kit, including a light meter. It is in unbelievable condition,

I am amazed by the results

Thank you all for your input

Most reactions

Back