Time to choose.

globe91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well the time has come for me to upgrade. I am moving up in the world from my DSC H1.

I was thinking the Nikon D50 or the Canon XTi. This is a widely debated issue I am sure. Is their any major con's or pro's that make one better than the other?

No, no major pros or cons to make you pick one over the other. Go to a store and hold them both and see which one feels better, and has buttons/menus that seem more intuitive to you.

'course, I like Canon's, but I'm a little biased. ;)

I would get the D50. It's an "older" camera, and "only" 6MP, but it was a workhorse when I had mine.

That's if you can find one.

The XTi is newer, and is usually compared against the D80 with pretty good debate.

Personally I'd go for the XTi.
Not because it's Canon, but because great high ISO performance. It's a newer camera...and it shows.

I should be out and about next weekend. I will have to make a trip to a camera store. That should be a good day.

i just had this same debate last week. I Love Nikon, but I thought the cannon xti was a great camera as well I went to the store and tried them out.(Big difference!) Anyway I ended up with the Sony. I love it!!:thumbup: i would say go to a local shop and point and shoot with each one of them and see which one fits you best. Everyone is pretty much going to tell you to buy the brand they have, and thats not what you need! Honestly I thought there wasnt much of a difference between the 3. They all have the same pixels and almost all the same options. the main reason I went with the Sony was it had built in image stablising(i have real shaky hands)Nikon and Cannon both don't have this and i loved the eye piece sensor. Not 2 mention I have a bunch of Minolta lenses. So the best advise is hold them and see which one is best and easiest to use for you.:mrgreen:

Let me get this right, Minolta lenses fit on the Sony Alpha series? That wouldn't be bad for me seeing that I have some pretty nice lenses for my XG1.

Let me get this right, Minolta lenses fit on the Sony Alpha series? That wouldn't be bad for me seeing that I have some pretty nice lenses for my XG1.

all my auto foucus lenses fit. that was the main reason I went with sony. I just found out that they picked up the minolta line last week. And there a100 and a700 both accept minolta lenses. it makes me very happy cause the sony kit lens that comes with the cam is very very cheap flimsy plastic!

Hmm what about the manual focus lenses do you know? That might be a bigger selling point. But I also have to take into consideration that Sony hasnt been around as long so they don't have as many used lenses for me to buy and save money on.

Hmm what about the manual focus lenses do you know? That might be a bigger selling point. But I also have to take into consideration that Sony hasnt been around as long so they don't have as many used lenses for me to buy and save money on.
No the manual focus lenses do not fit on the sony slr's But everyone of my AF lenses fit and work well so far I havent had much a chance to get out and take some real pics with it yet. But just shooting around the house figuring all the adjustments out. The more I use it the more i'm falling in love:heart:

Thats a shame. Because all of my lenses for my XG1 are manual focus. I guess I will just go to a camera shop and try out all of the major ones. How are the kit lenses on the XTi and the D50? Are they better than the ones that come with the Alpha series?

Nikon kit lens for the D50 is solid for what it is. Obviously its not going to be as on point as a non-kit-lens lens, but that doesn't make the lens cheap or weak by any means.

Thats good to hear. I might even be able to save up a little more money and buy a D80. We will see how much I like them when I go to the camera shop. Does anyone know of a good camera shop in the central MN area? I could look to but I might as well use you guys when I can.

If you have the cash, I would get a D80 (but not through an brick and mortar shop - grab it online and save a lot of green). However if you can find a D50 for 400 or less I would grab that over the D80 and make up for it with a super-sharp lens.

Yea, i am pretty sure that I will be able to find a deal on a D50. Not sure when but I am sure that I will find one.

Most reactions

Back