Time to start developing myself

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Again the local shop failed to send out my film to the other shop in town to be processed. So I think its time to start developing my own 4x5s. I haven't done it in 13 years so what should I be looking into as far as chemicals for B&W? I seem to see everyone talking about Dektol?

Anywho, Id love some recommendations.

Gonna go find a developing canister now

13yrs ... that's not long ago ... last time I did that (4x5) was in the late 80's.

Hmm, developers tend to be a personal thing.
In college, the norm was D-76 ... probably since it was economical and in power form (longer shelf life when bought in bulk).

Hmm, or was it HC-110?

These days I tend to use Ilford chemistry or Rodinol for 35mm and medium format.

... though I still long for the days of huge negs.

Developers for films are a personal matter, and also somewhat film-dependent. T-Max Developer was great for T-Max films! I like D-76, and also D-76 diluted 1:1 with water, and HC-110 Dilution B. I used those film developers for Tri-X or Plus-X Pan films. I have developed a lot of Tri-X 35mm size film in Rodinal...I regret almost every single roll thusly developed...

Last edited:
Diehard D-76 guy here.......X-Tol for 3200 speed films (I've shot 3200 at 25000 and used X-Tol and had great detail).

If you're going to develop yourself you're going to need an awfully tall tank.

Bad one, I know... lol

I tend to stick with TMax for TMax film, and D76 for everything else. Not much variety there, admittedly. I do want to give HC 110 a try, and Leo has me interested in Caffenol, since she clearly gets good results.

But until then, I can stand by the other two.

I seem to see everyone talking about Dektol?

Dektol is a paper developer.

Maybe you're thinking of Xtol? It's a top notch developer.

Probably Xtol. I was probably floating around the paper section of the large format forum and Dektol stuck in my mind for whatever reason.

I shoot Ilford Delta 100 for B&W if that matters in the decision of what to use

Well, you know what I am going to say... hope you don't mind the smell of instant coffee! :allteeth:

(coughcoughCAFFENOLcoughcough)

I purchased everything for caffenol a year or so ago and Im not sure if we still have it all. Ill have to go digging around the apartment

If you're going to develop yourself you're going to need an awfully tall tank.

Bad one, I know... lol

Bathtub.
fiufiu.gif

I just started developing at home and so far have gone ilford across the board with really great results (6 rolls so far). I shoot 120 but its all film in the end of the day. Ilford has really nice documentation for all their developers and films which makes it super easy. DD-x IlfoStop and Ilford Rapix fixer from BH will run you ~$30. Throw in a thermometer, tank, and set of mix up cups to hit the free shipping limit and you are good to go.

Dave

got my film back today and the scans. Turns out they only scanned at 600 dpi instead of the 2400 dpi I paid for. Looks like I will have another 2-3 day wait for them to fix this. :angry:

Most reactions

Back