Time to upgrade..

Lsatblu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I currently have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H10 and have started shooting for my senior project which will include photography even though it is mainly graphic design. I want something better than the Sony and something that can shoot in RAW.

My friend has a Canon Rebel EOS XL that she does not use anymore and said she will sell me. It is in good condition with a minor scratch on the screen. She said she will give me an extra lens for it. The one attached to it know says 18-55mm so I am not sure if that is the lens that came with it or the extra one. She thinks it 8mp but she is not 100% because she hasn't used it in a long time but will look it up.

This is a pretty good upgrade from my Sony, right? My other friend has the Nikon d80. How would that compare to this camera? What should I offer her price wise?

Edit: I think she paid around $800 at the time. If you can suggest a similar good camera for me instead I will look into it. I would spend around 5-600 I think..but then with the lens I am not sure what to do.

Do you mean a Canon XT?

It's a good camera. I still use one - it's a few years old, but it still works fine.

I'm not very familiar with the Sony DSC-H10, but I think you will find any dSLR to be a huge upgrade...

Scratch on the screen? I assume you mean the LCD screen on the back...? I wouldn't worry about it too much - it will not affect anything.

The 18-55 kit lens is not a stellar lens by any stretch of the imagination, but it will do just fine while you are just starting out.
Eventually, you will want to upgrade your glass - and there are tons of very good options.

Depending on the lenses she's including, something around $350 would probably be fair. ...but I'm not too up-to-date on the used prices...that may not be 100% accurate.

Last edited:
Yeah it is just a scratch on the LCD screen so it is nothing major..

Edit: I am still undecided though, I keep figuring out new things with my current camera and it does take good shots. The only disadvantage is that it does not do RAW. I don't really need a fancy lens because I am only using this camera to take shots of my friends for my portfolio. They will be mostly fashion shots so they are up close..I have to think about it some more.

Last edited:
One thing about my current camera is that the files show up as 34x45.333 inches and at 72dpi. I asked Sony about that and they said the software determines the amount of dots. Is this true? I have it set to take the highest size but 72dpi seems low rez.

Yes, it's true. PPI/DPI is meaningless until you print.

It's all the same on the screen.

Except that it's an accepted standard (ish) to display images online at 72 PPI (or thereabouts). It significantly reduces file size, but doesn't affect the image on-screen.

Most reactions

Back