Time with the Tamron 28mm-300mm

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jubbin2001, Jul 24, 2010.

1. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been trying how to get some better pics out of this lens, since most of them seem soft @ 300mm. Now I am not saying this is the sharpest, but it's the best I have gotten so far out of this lens @ 300mm. Comments or suggestions welcome!

[​IMG]

2. vtf

vtf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have been told, and seen it stated on here that a lens at its most extreme is not the sharpest. I do think you shot is very good, I would like to have seen a bit more dof. Im surprised you didnt get movement blurr with 1/10th shutter.
    I do like the clarity overall.:thumbup:

3. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! I have been working of trying to do better with DOF, but without more intense lighting, it's pretty tough. Trying to keep them still is another problem all together.

4. doziergraphic

doziergraphic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I plan to buy one of those lenses this week - or the sigma - is this the $299 version you have?

5. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the A20 model, which retails around $600. I haven't had experience with the Sigma, but I have heard really good things about them. The Tamron is nice, but I wish it was a little sharper @ 300mm with the vibration compesation on. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it seems if I want sharper images, I have to turn it off. Had I known that, I probably would have gotten the less expensive version without VC. Still it's a solid performer for the price.

6. Bryce

Bryce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The only thing I don't like and it is a pet peave of mine is a sharp face and then the body drops out into a blurr. I like to see atleast a fade but I prefer the animal mostly all in focus then the back ground is all faded. I just got a tamron 75 - 300 but I don't like using it for macro.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I owned the 28-300 model the XLR Di model I guess it was...compared to my other superzoom, the Nikon 28-200 AF-G, the Tamron was not as sharp, especially at the upper end,and I never was really satisfied with it, so I gave it on to a nice grandmotherly lady in my circle,and she uses it on her D80 as a do-everything lens for walkaround use. I suspect that the top end of the Tamron 28-300 being a bit soft is kind of par for the design, which is a very extreme lens design.

8. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments. Given the suggestions, I think I shall try another round and see what I come up with. Have to try some different lighting techniques I think, so I can get a better DOF.

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, you know, on your little reptilian subject there, at web size, the image looks just fine to me...the amount of depth of field is not too much at that magnification...DOF is mighty slim when the subject is so magnified, as it is in the photo you posted...to get more of this kind of creature into sharp focus, you'd need to shoot a more side-view angle to him (or her)...