Time?

davincisoprano1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been messing around with my Nikon D50 in manual mode shooting JPEG photos at about 30 seconds each (I'm trying to get the aperture to stay at f-22 when on shutter mode) and I am wondering if anyone knows why it takes a while to process the photo before you can see it on the monitor or take the next shot...

My friend was using her Canon Rebel XT on the same settings and it took no time at all for her's to process the photo...

Anyone have any suggestions?

cause canon is way better :p
just kidding. I dont know the answer

How long is "a while"? Do you have High ISO noise-reduction enabled? Are you shooting in high-quality while the Canon wasn't? Is your memory card a good-quality, high-speed card?

It's probably your memory card... As Tirediron said, you should use a high-speed card, and there may also have been quality variables. Were you shooting raw? If so, the lag will be even more pronounced!

thank you for your replies...

I was shooting in JPEG

and I had no idea there were high speed cards!

thank you for your replies...

I was shooting in JPEG

and I had no idea there were high speed cards!

From what I see, the write speed of the card really shouldn't enter in to this; you're shooting jpg, and clearly not shooting in any sort of burst mode, therefore even the slowest card should keep up with it. Again, if you can give an idea of the time delay to which you refer, I'm sure other D50 owners can comment on whether that's typical, and work the issue from there.

It has nothing to do with the card, It is the noise reduction software running, the longer the exposure the longer it takes, If you do your own noise reduction in post, just turn it off. If you don't I would just leave it on. I first discovered this on my D70s, it is the same on all nikon cameras, but the newer expeed models can do it a bit faster.
I hope this helps

Oops, sorry for the missinformation! I'll keep quiet unless I'm sure about what I'm talking about from now on :p

Indeed there are two types of NR in cameras. High ISO NR is a standard noise reduction done by smoothing an image or clearing it with some other algorithm. Long Exposure NR which normally activates somewhere upwards from 5-10 seconds depending on the camera is more concerned with hot pixels.

Since hot pixels typically are the same for a given shutters speed the NR algorithm takes a second photo without opening the shutter to make a map of which pixels are hot, and subtract them from the original photo. Generally this is a feature I turn off, as one pixel is very easy to get rid of in photoshop, but waiting 1minute for a 30second photo, and draining my camera battery is not fun.

Yup...

My current camera requires the same length of time as the shutter too. So a 5 sec. exposure takes 10 seconds. A 15 sec. exposure, 30 sec. and so on. It's frustrating! And even worse - with this model the EVF and LCD stay off (black) during that kind of NR so I'm never 100% sure when the exposure is finished. There's a bell or audio shutter recording if I turn it on but - yuck. Of course my current camera is a POS but hey... ;) Mine kicks in at 1 sec. :p

Last edited:
Yeah the Long Exposure NR was the only disappointment I had with the D50. After I tried it once I never used it again.

Yeah the Long Exposure NR was the only disappointment I had with the D50. After I tried it once I never used it again.

hmm ok i'll see if turning that off works :)

thanks for all the input guys! I'm SO thankful for this forum!

lol, i remember with my D70, i could almost have a whole cigarette while it did that.

Most reactions

Back