Times at Night

Al-Wazeer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another one from the U.K :)

well everyone knows the London's eye and the houses of Parliament and the thames river :), but had to take a picture of this beautiful scene!

3764848905_2feafc00bc_o.jpg

What do you think

Last edited:
It's nice, but I think it's too dark. Maybe HDR would've helped here.

It's nice, but I think it's too dark. Maybe HDR would've helped here.
Well, for me it isn't dark, but I can't do HDR because my camera doesn't do bracketing and my tripod is trash :p, every time I want to change a setting it moves, thanks for the comment

I don't think it's too dark - it allows me to focus on the bright points, like the Eye and Big Ben. I do however find the lower orangish cloud layer distracting - on my computer it's a bit pixelated and has some harsh edges. (I've had that problem with jpeg conversion, could that be part of it?) Maybe that's the part that would have benefitted most from SlimPaul's suggestion of HDR conversion.

I really like the softness of the water and the reflections. It is indeed a beautiful sight!

I don't think it's too dark - it allows me to focus on the bright points, like the Eye and Big Ben. I do however find the lower orangish cloud layer distracting - on my computer it's a bit pixelated and has some harsh edges. (I've had that problem with jpeg conversion, could that be part of it?) Maybe that's the part that would have benefitted most from SlimPaul's suggestion of HDR conversion.

I really like the softness of the water and the reflections. It is indeed a beautiful sight!
I have notice pixelated orangish cloud,and I admit it, it's a little bit annoying, do you think it's because of converting it from RAW to JBG? And what benefit would I got if I Made it HDR?
Thanks for the comment

I have notice pixelated orangish cloud,and I admit it, it's a little bit annoying, do you think it's because of converting it from RAW to JBG? And what benefit would I got if I Made it HDR?
Thanks for the comment

Do you see the same orangish cloud in the raw version? I have noticed both a loss of color and pixelation occur in the conversion to jpg, especially if you save the file down. I posted a landscape from the Valley of Fire last week and that one had an extreme loss of color in the reds - I had to really tweak it to make the jpg look close to the raw. The loss of information makes sense - there's a huge size difference between raw and jpgs, even if they're not "saved for web". That loss has to show somewhere and sometimes it's just more than I expect.

As for HDR, I haven't worked with it much so I'm just speculating based on HDR conversion examples I've seen. If you were able to do HDR with this photo, you could potentially change the orange cloud into a vibrant sunset (or city glow) instead of just barely showing. That seems to be the big advantage to HDR - the accessibility to light and colors that are otherwise indistinguishable in 1 exposure.

IMHO, I would be tempted to clone out the orangish cloud, using the blue sky above. That would be major post processing (e.g. masking, cloning, layering, gradients even) and may or may not be something you want to do.

Thanks for the comment

Do you see the same orangish cloud in the raw version? I have noticed both a loss of color and pixelation occur in the conversion to jpg, especially if you save the file down. I posted a landscape from the Valley of Fire last week and that one had an extreme loss of color in the reds - I had to really tweak it to make the jpg look close to the raw. The loss of information makes sense - there's a huge size difference between raw and jpgs, even if they're not "saved for web". That loss has to show somewhere and sometimes it's just more than I expect.

As for HDR, I haven't worked with it much so I'm just speculating based on HDR conversion examples I've seen. If you were able to do HDR with this photo, you could potentially change the orange cloud into a vibrant sunset (or city glow) instead of just barely showing. That seems to be the big advantage to HDR - the accessibility to light and colors that are otherwise indistinguishable in 1 exposure.

IMHO, I would be tempted to clone out the orangish cloud, using the blue sky above. That would be major post processing (e.g. masking, cloning, layering, gradients even) and may or may not be something you want to do.
Nah, I wouldn't clone out the orange cloud, it gives some nice feeling in the picture, well if you don't look straight at it, it wouldn't bother you a lot, thanks for being concerned and answering the question about the HDR for me, but unfortunately there was no city glow of vibrant sunset, it was the UK! lol :p

We get a greenish glow in Las Vegas when it's cloudy. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back