Times gone by... C&C please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by EleanorW, Sep 27, 2009.

1. EleanorW

EleanorW TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    1: iso 100, 1/125, f4.0

[​IMG]

2: iso 100, 1/125, f5.6

[​IMG]

3: iso 100, 1/200, f9.0

[​IMG]

2. syphlix

syphlix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you left your tripod in the shot!

second one i like but could do w/out the brown line top right

third one isn't that interesting to me

3. Randall Ellis

Randall Ellis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good spot! I missed it on the initial viewing and didn't pick up on that myself until I went back to look more deeply.

#1 A couple of things struck me when I first looked at this one. First, it seems soft and has a bit of an odd composition. When I look at it, my eye goes first to the tractor (and now the tripod - thanks syphlix) then moves to the grain elevator and then out the top of the frame. The brilliant bits of red paint on the tractor also seem out of place a bit, at least to me, as being a little too red for something that is that rusted and old. That could just be my monitor though.

I think that the tractor has enough sense of place in it's own right to stand alone, and therefore does not need the grain elevator to provide that. Moving in closer to show some of the details of the tractor I think would increase the impact. Using that tripod with the camera instead of as a prop in the scene might help with the sharpness too :mrgreen:

The grain elevator and the tractor both have a lot of potential. If you have others from this session I'd be interested to see them. There is a lot that could be done with both of these subjects...

#2 This is strong. I've seen it in another thread I believe. I like the feel of it, I like the way that we can't see through the windshield to the background because it keeps the eye pinned on the main subject, and I like that this one is sharp. The white object on the right, however, is a big distraction. I could be wrong, but I don't recall that in the other posting of this image.

#3 The line of the road is strong, leading my eye into... the empty sky. This has potential, but it strikes me as more of a backdrop for the missing subject than a subject itself. The sky takes up the greater portion of this image, but it has nothing to show (that I can tell). I think that it has value (bad pun, I know, but hang with me here) and adds something to the feel of the image, but it is too strongly represented as shown here. If there were a barn in the distance then this would have a lot more impact.

- Randy

4. mooimeisie

mooimeisie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The one that holds my interest is the first one, but not for the tractor. It's the elevator I find captiviating. I think it's a subject that could produce a nice series.

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    .... but it's a Manfrotto. :lol:

#2 is your strongest of the set, but I want to see the cracked windshield as the main focal point with detail on the spider-web
    (of glass). Half a step to your left may have given the c-pillar more prominence and als taken the seat back out of the image. Nicely done all the same.

6. chris21908

chris21908 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    these can be great black n whites!! i have the same tripod as u fyi! i love it!!

7. EleanorW

EleanorW TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, that was my friends tripod - didn't even see the sucker til you guys caught it :D

8. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    2 is a pretty good shot. Like the others said it is strong but I would like to see how it would look with the glass break in focus and another with the whole wheel. Nice job.
    Tj

9. EleanorW

EleanorW TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks - I'm thinking about heading back up there this weekend. Hopefully it won't be cloudy and raining like it was last time.