tinted retro bridal portrait

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by mysteryscribe, Jan 26, 2007.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    also not new

[​IMG]

2. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

do you still know any of the people in these retro shots or where they just clients?

Looking at them makes me wonder how their lives turned out

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

With all due respect. Tell us your thoughts on this shot. I do not do weddings, but I have to say that this shot is in the dumps because of the colour, lighting and her lack of emotion.

4. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My thoughts on it were just that it was a tinted photograph and interesting in that respect to me at least. No it isn't a georgeous image but then not all images I had to deal with were.

I ran across her wedding while I was working on scanning my negatives. Found the color version very mediocre as well. I tinted it mostly to see what could be done. I obviously didn't think it was uninteresting or I wouldn't have bothered to do it.

Lighting was most likely a typical flat lighting single head on strobe light. It was shot at the church in the eighties or nineties on film. The shot is gone this morning most likely the host is down so I can't see it.

The background if I remember was a higher toned tinted version of the original color. Mostly light wood if I remember from the original. Otherwise I think the tint colors are pretty close to what the real colors were. Very much like the coloring done in the thirties and forties.

At that time they would make a list of what the person was wearing so they could tint the photograph. That's about all I can tell you.

I don't ever expect everything I do to be acceptable to everyone or anyone for that matter. I would be disappointed if it were so. I had a small print made of this as a test and thought it looked fine. I did have the fact that the background color was uniform mentioned a few times.

She probably isn't the most appealing subject but that's what we deal with now and then.

And craig please don't feel that I will take offense at anyone's comments. I honestly dont. I am glad to answer specific questions and of course you are right. What you feel about the image is valid in every respect. As are the feelings of anyone else on any of my images.

Not only is an image what it is. It is also what the viewer percieves it to be. So in that regard love or hate it, your opinion is valid. I hope my old man attitude doesn't stiffle anyone's willingness to state their opinion. A forum is about opinion as much as fact.

By the way my wife critique was mostly that you can't see any detail in the dress. That is pretty much true as well.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Cool. I am glad you shared thoughts with us.

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh thats the kind of thing I dont mind explaining. How or even why I did a thing.

What I can't honestly do is try to justify a bad image. If the image sucks in someone's opinion, all the words in the world won't convince them that it is a masterpiece, nor should it.

Every image is just what it is. A pretty discription won't really change that. I make some horrid images at this. I know that and I accept that I personally like some images that should never see the light of day. My experience in doing the image might, if not marry me to it, at least enamor me beyound reason to it. That should not effect how anyone sees it.

Okay putting away the soap box.

7. nolatome

nolatome TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    tough shot to work with. I don't care for it, however there are specific reasons, and I think you are right to be working outside the box, and trying things. The floor is too powerful, too bright maybe, or a different color, it contrast's too much with the background, and her lips stand out soo much. her skin tone is off.