Tips and tricks for a beginner

BRITTKN33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HI :)
Ive been getting into photography for the past year. I really enjoy it. Im just a beginner and its just a hobby and something Im interested in. But I still love learning new things and developing my skills. So any tips or constructive criticism is wanted.

I use two cameras
a Canon Rebel EOS Xt dslr
and a Yashica Electro Tl slr

Flickr: BRITTKN33's Photostream
^^^ My photos

Oh okay :)
Here are a few taken with my Canon Ive been useing this camera for 3 months. My first dslr.
4749684689_fdf9fe1db7_b.jpg

4775895277_a2a821a627_b.jpg

4813393044_a7ac0b58b1_b.jpg

4812762609_23b8bb63c7_b.jpg

4835604786_10a145ddf4_b.jpg

And here are a few taken with my Yashica. Ive been useing this camera for a month. its my first slr so Im still learnign how to use it.
4844476539_545d459b60_b.jpg

4831943612_c0627f69aa_b.jpg

4845097606_819bdff96e_b.jpg

4845093732_7fc336e1a5_b.jpg

It looks to me like you're trying to be a little too 'artsy' right off the bat. Slow down, learn the basics and then move on. Most of these images have some common issues: All except the second are over-exposed to some degree, all have the subject more-or-less centered, and have some sort of focusing issue. I would suggest becoming more familiar with the basics, how your metering modes work, how your focusing modes work, and when you can get 10 out of 10 sharp, well exposed photograhs of your dog, then move onto composition.

Keep at it - remember, the beauty of shooting digital is that the film is cheap!

^Agree, and a tendency to over saturate as well. Although, I actually like #2. Nice textures, nice colors and it's sharp. Desaturate it a bit, and I'd like it even more.

One other suggestion, post no more than 3 or 4 pics, and put a space between them. This will keep everybody happy. ;)

If you keep it to 2 or 3 photos per thread and put a space between each one, you'll also get more comments.

Presentation is important when showing your photos. Have you ever noticed galleries don't just thumb tack art work to the wall?

Tip: Look at pictures that you encounter in your daily life. Pictures are everywhere. Look at photos, and evaluate them. Decide which ones work,and which ones do not, and then ask yourself WHY pictures please you, leave you indifferent, or maybe even irritate you or make you feel bad.

Tip: LEARN some of the techniques that are the basis of photographic skill: panning, shallow depth of field, close-up work, using a flash as supplemental lighting, using a flash as the sole light source, and of course, work on composing pleasing photos.

Tip: Read some BOOKS on photography. Books written BEFORE digital photography became the opiate of the masses. Older books, written by experts, and edited by experts. The web and newer digital-era books are often like cookbooks...."recipes" on how to post-process to achieve an "effect", and often little more.

It looks to me like you're trying to be a little too 'artsy' right off the bat. Slow down, learn the basics and then move on. Most of these images have some common issues: All except the second are over-exposed to some degree, all have the subject more-or-less centered, and have some sort of focusing issue. I would suggest becoming more familiar with the basics, how your metering modes work, how your focusing modes work, and when you can get 10 out of 10 sharp, well exposed photograhs of your dog, then move onto composition.

Keep at it - remember, the beauty of shooting digital is that the film is cheap!

I agree on the "film is cheap part" lol. No reason really not to practice a lot.

Really its more about the life of the shutter than anything else. DSLRs have pretty a long life in this area I believe.

Most reactions

Back