Tips for beginner - Nikkor Micro 105mm 2.8

wezza13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Just a quick post.

I've hired the above lens for the weekend just so I can see what macro photography entails.

I took a load of pics yesterday, trying out different household items and I was very impressed with it.

I found I had to use Auto-ISO though as, when using the on-camera flash, the exposure would come out dark still with 100 ISO.

Using a D7100 by the way.

Any fool-proof noob tips?

Many thanks,
Wez

I'll probably try my Yongnuo flash off of camera too, to see what kind of results that produces.

+1 on the tripod. I like to use small apertures since the DoF will be extremely shallow.

OP- Lets see some of your photos that you took with the lens.

fly.jpg
For hand held 3d subjects like bugs, I usually use Flash, ISO 100, f16-22, 1/250 (max) and Auto Focus (C). Now I use a R1 macro flash system but before I got it I used a SB700 with a dome.

Last edited:
If you can use a tripod, then do so. It will help with critical focus and stabilise the lens. On camera flash for macro often doesn't work well, as the lens can get in the way and cast a shadow on your subject matter. Ring flashes like the Sigma EM-140 DG are good but expensive.

Using the flash off camera will be your best bet to avoid interaction with the lens and make the light more interesting. If it's a manual Yongnuo, take the camera off auto ISO. Raise your ISO to 400. This will still give you clean images but allow you a bit more leeway with power output. If you can use lower power you'll get more shots and faster t=0.1 times to ensure blur free images.

Using the timer or shutter release cable is an advantage, as is mirror lockup or exposure delay mode to help avoid mirror slap. If you are tripod mounted, turn off the VR.

Don't forget to turn Image Stabilization OFF when using a tripod. The small motor or whatever it is that sturdies it will vibrate on the tripod and will effectively be camerashake ;)

Thank you for all of your tips, they have been very helpful!

The weather yesterday was awful so just had a little mess around indoors with it.

Attachments

• _DSC1187.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 203
  • _DSC1206.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 207
  • _DSC1241.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 182
  • _DSC1243.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 180
  • _DSC1308.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 191
  • _DSC1335.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 194
And a few more.

Particularly like my dogs eye with the reflection of my daughter in it.

None of these are processed at all, just imported into Lightroom and turned into Jpegs, so I can upload them to here :)

Attachments

• _DSC1218.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 180
  • _DSC1240.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 203
  • _DSC1331.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 172
  • _DSC1339.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 178
  • _DSC1346.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 192
Op, I suggest you get yourself a Flickr account or similar, you can then paste the share codes into a thread and it shows the photos. It's more convenient for people checking out your photos

Op, I suggest you get yourself a Flickr account or similar, you can then paste the share codes into a thread and it shows the photos. It's more convenient for people checking out your photos

I did wonder, as I clicked "Full image" on the option to upload instead of thumbnail.

Sorry, trying to link the code from flicker without it just giving you a link to click.

_DSC1346 by wezza13, on Flickr

I can't find a tutorial in the beginners section on how to post code from flicker, bear with me!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back