Tips for cheap travel?

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey most of you probably travel a lot, does anyone have any tips to do it without spending a fortune?

Being a poor, broke college student, I sometimes find it hard to scrape together a few hundred dollars for a trip. Even public transport is getting expensive ($100 to go interstate, $25 a night sleeping).

I used to be able to sleep anywhere flat (ie. the airport benches, rail stations), but having recently got my camera, I'm not sure its a good idea anymore :D

So far my biggest costs are "getting there" and accomodation, which can soak up hundreds of dollars, even on the lowest budget. Does anyone have any tips about saving a few dollars while travelling?

(By the way, I live in Australia, if that helps)

There are some great forums on travel out there - actually the Australian travel forums are the best place to find a bar job in London (no joke!).

Rob

Keller, apparently, according to xmetal's horoscope I'm a cheap bastard :lmao:, so I should be able to help you.

Seriously, though, can we get a little more info? Where is it that you want to travel? When? For what purpose? How old are you (that is, do you qualify for youth rates, youth hostels, etc)? You said that you are a student, so make sure you bring your student ID card with you.

If you just want to travel around Oz, I won't be much of a help. But going through the US and Europe can be relatively cheap depending on you tolarence for what you consider "acceptable."

I would need some more info, but Rob is right (as he always is), there are lots of forums out there on travel, and there are lots of low-budget travel sites (although most of the ones I know are for flights originating in the States).

My Sister-in-law and her husband are both teachers, they own a nice house and drive a nice Audi, they are fairly well off...They still stay in Hostels when they travel.

Hostels are all over the place. I have a couple of friends who went to Australia for 9 months...they stayed in plenty of hostels.

I'm building a replica 1947 Trailer For Two, commonly called teardrop trailers, just for that purpose. To be able to get away for a weekend or longer, take pics, and do it relatively cheaply. Not free but damn close... There are quite a few owner/builders in Australia as well. Just for fun, check out this other forum I belong to: http://www.mikenchell.com/forums

Well I'm mostly going to be doing interstate travel in Australia. Can't afford international travel yet, that'll have to wait a few years.

I do qualify for student discounts luckily - saves a few bucks.

Had a look thru Google, I've managed to come across this place called Thorn Tree. Interesting site!

Has anyone ever done the hitchhiking thing before? What were your experiences like?

Most reactions

Back