tips for first portrait session

Ab$olut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK I have a female friend that has kindly volunteer'd to model for me:hug::.Im assuming she will be nervous as shes never done this before nor have I this is why im doing it.The kind of lighting im hoping to use is a window and it'll probally be an overcast day will be using some paper to diffuse and reflect onto the side of her face which is away from the window.

Anymore tips for my first portrait session? :blushing:

make sure u meter properly and bracket. whenever i photograph my friends i joke and talk to them and tell them that im just setting up and snap few shots when they are not ready and then when they are ready. try a lot of different angles, sketch it out, when my friends are nervous they dont know what to do with their hands so they put it by their face and it looks like they r nervous. i dunno what else. hmm if i think of something else ill write it

When I shoot people, i try to talk to them as much as possible. I tell them exactly what i'm doing and why i'm doing it.

yes! talk a bunch, but not so much as to be wiered. BE CONFIDENT, it will reflect on your results. be funny, use role playing . . . like have them act somthing out in order to explain the poses. i spot meter all of my portraits.
white people i meter 2/3's of a stop over.

black people that are very black i meter even.

have fun and be loose!

spot meter it i guess a lot of people do it, i also like to tell them story or something to lose them up or to get the look i want out of them. and i always braket just incase i meter wrong or something =) good luck

Most reactions

Back