Tips for groups/oh god, what did I get myself into?!

I'm unsure how this will all work out, but it would be nice if you would ask more questions as this was an interesting read. Now I'm off to find a hip flask. :)

I'm not 100% convinced of the value of the remote release for this situation. That will require a tripod, which I find awkward when you need to move around. Watch the group, tell a joke or say something that will attract their attention and get a smile. Then shoot a sequence of 3-4 images. After each sequence ask the group if anyone blinked; when someone says, 'Yes' (someone always seems to say 'Yes'), ask them if they saw red or black. If they saw red, they blinked (the flash highlighting hte blood in their eye-lids), if they saw black, no blinky. Don't chimp between shots, but have a quick look between groups just to make sure there are no excess highlights, ugly facial expressions, etc. Of course there always things that you can't account for:
Fly_by.jpg

but that's why you shoot multiple frames of each pose.

I'm unsure how this will all work out, but it would be nice if you would ask more questions as this was an interesting read. Now I'm off to find a hip flask. :)
As soon as I figure out if the MIL is set on outdoor, or if were doing an indoor shoot I'll have plenty more questions! Still waiting for a call back. *sigh*

A lot of ideas for molding the group into photos and behavior that you want. You may consider the group would like to have photos that show the group dynamic as it is. Let them cut-up and make faces or whatever and you may give them the memories that they want. After they get it out of their system you can usually get a couple of posed group shots. On the other hand they may be very formal folks????

Well, I finally herd back from the mom. She "really dislikes studio pictures and is crushed we can't do them outside" (6inches of snow)

There is another brother apparently, so now I am at 5 adults and three kids.

I will be going to their house. I'm thinking I will set my white background behind their couch and use it for posing, but eliminate the banister behind them. The other wall is a huge picture window with Xmas tree. Im worried about mixed light using that wall.

For lights. I was going to do two large softboxes at 45° and I have a speeslight I thought I could use as rim light. Can someone tell me if one speedlight will be enough to backlight 5 adults, 3 kids? What ZOOM WOULD I USE? and the wide angle diffuser, I should pop that up right? Or maybe that should be a whole new thread???

She "really dislikes studio pictures and is crushed we can't do them outside"

To me, that's a red flag in terms of her expectations. Maybe before setting up your stuff, you need to explore her "dislike" with her to see what she wants it to look like. THEN, you know what the target is, and you can start figuring out how to get it done.

Hmmm.... a few thoughts: I wouldn't worry too much about the back/rim light if you're using a white background. Two large soft boxes should be plenty for the group; both at 45 will give you even, flat light however, which may not be ideal if the MiL is not a fan of the studio look. How about one 30 degrees camera left (or right) as key, and a fill about 10-15 degrees of axis on the opposite side 1/2 - 2/3 stop down. That should give you a bit of shadow and interest without being too dramatic or "shadowy". A lot of the lighting however will depend on how you plan to pose them. Remember, if you're going have them seated, DO NOT let them lean back. butts on the very forward edge of the cushions!

She "really dislikes studio pictures and is crushed we can't do them outside"

To me, that's a red flag in terms of her expectations. Maybe before setting up your stuff, you need to explore her "dislike" with her to see what she wants it to look like. THEN, you know what the target is, and you can start figuring out how to get it done.
I know! Though my post sounded irritating, she was nice about it-just genuinely disappointed that outdoors work work. She realizes time and weather are Just not on our side.

Hmmm.... a few thoughts: I wouldn't worry too much about the back/rim light if you're using a white background. Two large soft boxes should be plenty for the group; both at 45 will give you even, flat light however, which may not be ideal if the MiL is not a fan of the studio look. How about one 30 degrees camera left (or right) as key, and a fill about 10-15 degrees of axis on the opposite side 1/2 - 2/3 stop down. That should give you a bit of shadow and interest without being too dramatic or "shadowy". A lot of the lighting however will depend on how you plan to pose them. Remember, if you're going have them seated, DO NOT let them lean back. butts on the very forward edge of the cushions!
thank you! I think I will try to go with white then. I also have black. If the Mom for some reason wants black (I already told her it was an option) would the speedlight work?)
Considering she's already "settling" I don't want to dissappoint her day of limiting her options further.

Great tip about the sitting position! I will keep that in the front of my mind.

And thanks for the lighting tip Tirediron, I know 45° is terribly boring. It just seemed safe with such a large group. I'll give your suggestion a go!!

Now I need to go research poses!

There's nothing wrong with going 'safe' and using flat lighting, just thinking if MiL doesn't like studio lighting, that might seem a bit too studio for her tastes, but there's NO reason you can't do a couple of set-ups. I always tell clients that it's nice to have some variety. As for the black background, one speedlight is going to have a tough time rim-lighting eight people, especially if they're in two rows. I think the white background will be your best choice.

Throw them all outside in the snow and blame the MIL.
And make them stand there all day while you wait for the right light.

There's nothing wrong with going 'safe' and using flat lighting, just thinking if MiL doesn't like studio lighting, that might seem a bit too studio for her tastes, but there's NO reason you can't do a couple of set-ups. I always tell clients that it's nice to have some variety. As for the black background, one speedlight is going to have a tough time rim-lighting eight people, especially if they're in two rows. I think the white background will be your best choice.
Okay, I will go with the white background for the group shot! Maybe give her the option of black for the smaller groups, if it's some thing she really wants.

I tried to get some Christmas shots of the kids yesterday, and the grandparents wanted to join in. That was only 4 people, and getting them all to look at the camera was a nightmare (I probably didn't try hard enough) and afterwords I had a lightbulb pop on. I'm not good at leading, and I am NOT funny. I don't think I am cut out for group work. It is Too late to back out of this one, so someone PLEASE give me some jokes to use on this group in hopes I can stop myself from rambling incoherently....

Find a really bad group photo (the internet's good for that), and tell them that's how they'll look if they don't cooperate.:p

Oy vey! I just got another message, saying we are going to change the location to outdoors, and hopefully get the shots wrapped up in 15 minuets because the kids won't want to stand in the snow longer than that. I did NOT scout a location because we were planning indoors, and I am not confidant I can do the whole thing in 15-20 minuets. They are again, offering to pay me, which I am not comfortable because I have NEVER done a large group before, and my outdoor lighting work is laking anyways AND I dont have the equipment necessary to light a group outdoors either.

This sounds like a good time to back out right??? But if I back out, they get no pictures at all, even bad ones......

Find a really bad group photo (the internet's good for that), and tell them that's how they'll look if they don't cooperate.:p

Are you beginning to wish you were being paid for this?

Can you mount your speedlight in one of the softboxes? Using a softbox for fill is a good way to cut the dark shadows in their eye sockets and under their chins. If it's a bright day with snow, "underexpose" just a bit (by your camera's light meter) and use flash fairly near the camera.

Or maybe you have a white umbrella for a diffuser.

Most reactions

Back