Tips for light etc

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dontgoaway, Jun 2, 2007.

1. dontgoaway

dontgoaway TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm currently building up a portfolio for entry into an intro photography course.
    Of course, because it's an intro and no former experience etc is needed, they dont expect the pictures to be great.

But I want to do as best as I can.

On Tuesday, I'm going to be taking photos of my friend and her great dane dog outside. It's meant to be "partly sunny" on Tuesday. I read somewhere that the best time for taking pictures of people is around an hour before sunset so if sunset is 6:45pm, the perfect time to take the photos is between 4 and 6:45pm.

Would you agree with this?

And do you have any tips for me to get as much as I can out of this?

I'm using a Minolta Dynax 4 35mm SLR with 28-80(D) lens.

2. bjrouse

bjrouse TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That would be fine I think. Anytime after maybe 2:30-3:00pm (depending where you are) would be ideal. Just avoid the harsh sun in the middle of the day.
    You also dont want the light directly behind you or subject, or directly at right angles. Something around the 4:30-5 o'clock or 7-7:30 mark.

and remember with any portrait FOCUS ON THE EYES !!!!!!!
    expression and mood make the photo

Cheers

Brendan

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This time, the golden hour, is great for photos yes, but not necessarily portraits. The light will be very warm, and very directional. The best light for portraits is an overcast day.

I also wouldn't recommend putting the sun directly behind your subject. This will be difficult for you to deal with I'm sure. I hope you have fill flash, or a reflector.