Tips for long exposure of waterfalls C+C

docphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first time doing long exposure of a couple of waterfalls, would definitely love some tips.

3950065780_c76cc0a6ae_b.jpg

3949284805_0affe3456a_b.jpg

looks like youve got the sutter speed down...

the only thing i would recommend is a ND filter if youre not using one already.
it will limit the light passing thru it and you'll likely get a better exposure. (first one looks a little overexposed)

nice shots! great location!

:thumbup:

looks like youve got the sutter speed down...

the only thing i would recommend is a ND filter if youre not using one already.
it will limit the light passing thru it and you'll likely get a better exposure. (first one looks a little overexposed)

nice shots! great location!

:thumbup:

ND = neutral density? I'll have to read up on this! Wow for other utter noobs out there this is a great motion blur photo with this type of filter

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Strickland_Falls_Shadows_Lifted.jpg

Yeah the ones that were longer exposure were way too over exposed, this one was tolerable, I should probably try to fix it up in pshop somehow

Yup... ND filters will definitely help you correct the exposure...

Trying looking for a ND 8 and / or ND 4 filters... I've got both... just in case... if there's a slight overcast... i'll use the ND 4... but otherwise... ND 8s will definitely do the trick...

good luck

I agree - the first is overexposed (colors are lackluster) and the second is hidden (the viewer can't see the waterfall). You're on the right track, you just needs to tweaked your process a bit as recommended above. Closer is often better than farther away with these subjects, so don't be afraid to get up close and present just a part of the whole if you can't get a good vantage point for the entire waterfall. Wet rocks are appealing, as are Fall colored leaves (good timing for that). Mosses and lichens are nice as well...

- Randy

- Randy

Yeah you would have got a much better shot exposure wise with an ND. The only time an ND will put the screws to you in the shots you have is if it is real windy outside, which will blur the trees.

Thanks everyone for the tips and Samanax for the links... I just bought my first ND filters off of ebay- they seem extremely useful!

I'm thinking I should probably pick up a photography book over winter break, I'm wondering what else I'm missing out on haha.

nice pics I am also new at this as well and was wondering if someone could fill me in a bit on these nd filters? and when should they be used ?? thanks

Sometimes you can go to far with the whispy. Image #1 is almost there. You can also use a polarizer. You are just trying to add density for the light to transmit through so that your image isn't overexposed. Try 1/2, 1, 2, 3 seconds and see what it looks like. It depends on how much water is coming over the falls. It can get to a point that it no longer looks like water.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back