Tips for photographing kids and lighting question?

Sugarr543

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend wants me to snap some pictures of her kiddos.
Anyone have some tips on how to get the best shots of kids? What would be the best mode for the kids since they move so fast?

I have a brown backdrop to use and am wondering about lighting, our lighting is flourescent in our house, will it work okay?

Thanks!

They have a short attention span, so don't expect them to be able to pose like adults. perhaps take them to the park where they can play, and take photos there? Pics of kids being kids.

I'd recommend that you use burst mode (AKA continuous shooting mode). If they are running around a lot, use Tv or S mode to give you shutter priority. That will let you freeze the action. You can use AV or A mode if you want to get some posed shots as well.

Thanks, I would love to take them outside but I'm in Alaska and it's just too cold and nasty out right now for them. The boy is almost 3 and the girl is 6 months so they'll be busy. I'll def use my burst mode for them.

Since you are in Alaska, find a snowbank and stick them in it or if there is no snow, wet the bottom of their shoes and let the freeze to the ground. That will hold them in one spot so you can get your pictures. :D

Ok, seriously, with young kids, to keep their attention long enough to get their pictures is to find something that will keep them occupied. The 6 month one won't be a problem, but the 3 year old boy might. So find some toys or something else that you can place in the area you want him to stay and let him play. Find out what his favorite toy is if he has one and use that first, but have a couple of other things as well in case he gets tired of it.

The other thing is to get him to act. Tell him to pretend he's a tree or some other character that will get him to stand or sit still for a short period. Or if he knows his ABC's or numbers, have him recite those for as many as he knows. While he is thinking he should be still. You have to be set up and ready though before you get him to do anything. As Tibby said, they have short attention spans and he isn't going to wait for you very long.

I lived in Anchorage for 6 years and graduated from High School up there. I loved the state.

Mike

3 year old.

i always balance a cuddly toy on my head and let them watch it slide of slowly whils snapping away and hen let them put it back it back on and start all over again.

usually works for 5 mins

Dress in bright colours as well, with kids characters on them if you can. Kids are attracted to bright, colourful things, so a funny, brightly dressed person in an otherwise dull studio will keep their attention longer!

I have had good luck with moving while shooting kids, especially babies. The moment I move left or right the babies eyes lock on. Out of 200 shots, about 175 will show up witht he kid looking around or something, but you do what you have to do to get what you need in the end.

I read somewhere that putting a bit of doublesided sticky tape on the toddlers fingers intrigues them and you can get some cute shots. I haven't tried it yet, but my kids love tape, so it just might work.

Most reactions

Back