Tips for shooting B&W

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by darkpbstar, May 31, 2008.

1. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

hello, I have a D40, and have yet to take and Black and White shots, but want to, and am going out today so maybe I'll try. Do you have any tips for shooting B&W shots? These will be of buildings/city shots, which I like in B&W, at least the ones I've seen. Does my camera have the setting to take the picture in B&W or is it all post-processing? thanks alot!

2. Coldow91

Coldow91 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Definitely shoot in color and then convert to B&W in PP with either the channel mixer or whatever. The key to B&W is to "see" in B&W which takes time and a lot taking shots and then seeing what they look like converted. Usually you want scenes with a good amount contrast/areas of light and dark so that your picture does not come out looking all one shade of gray. Good luck and I hope you post your results

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree, shoot in color and then use software to convert images to B&W. The key to good digital B&W is in the editing.

4. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

alright thanks alot

5. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm also going to add my vote to the "Shoot in colour and convert to B/W in the computer" party. If you do it in camera, you are stuck with whatever the camera does. If you do it in photoshop, you have a lot more flexibility when it comes to the conversion.

6. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I too am in the conversion crowd. I tried using the B&W mode in my D80, just to see how well it worked. While it was better than it was, it wasnt as good as it needs to be.