tips for shooting candy

Very interesting watching the evolution of these shots. I think you are really getting to something that looks pretty good. Wouldn't hurt to have more background, but if they want the lightbox look, then you've got it down.

i like the last one. nice work.

id like to see a scattered stack of those shot from an agle to capture the top one.

Wow, your framing went from dull to YUM! Great job!

However, the colouring is flat and unappetizing.

I suggest liberal use of unsharp mask to show detail, and also cranking the contrast and saturation to make it look more sugary.

Eg.:

Upping the contrast also forces the background to be nearly white, rather than that dull beige. I also adjusted the white balance to colder so that the white icing wasn't so yellowish.

I didn't bother doing this, but perhaps the bottom left corner on that second photo should be masked out so that it's just white.

BTW, are those Skor bits on top? Yummy :)

Last edited:
I like the last version MUCH better, but would suggest that your at least see the TIP of the candy, to give it more of a "pizza" feel. I like the angle you were going for, but maybe from a bit further back?

Of course, if combined with another image that shows the shape, the last one would be great to show the detail of the candy!

This has been a great thread to read through for someone who hasn't done any product shots. Its great to see the evolution of photographs when someone takes comments into consideration.

Great job and takes for making this a great thread.

i my self been doing alot of commercial shooting....so i know what it islike...i took your picture and this is the result i got playing with it
chocolatepizzacloseupwefv5.jpg

:mrgreen:

the last picture looks better than the rest and the choclate is tempting for me in the last shot after all the effort :)

Most reactions

Back