Tips for Shooting in the Cold

Wear a jacket and use a tripod. A wireless remote wouldnt hurt either.

I think the moisture accumulation is the biggest potential issue besides the battery. I wouldn't put it inside of the jacket because of the moisture that will accumulate on the cold surfaces of the glass. I think the intermediate temperature thing is a good idea. The temp change between outside and inside is going to put a lot of stress on the whole system. Because of that you may want to consider removing the lens before going in or outside.

I'm not the OP, but why the H*** was this moved to the Sony forum?
This thread clearly is about how to handle a DSLR in cold weather.
This is clearly as useable to Nikon and Canon and every other shooter as to a Sony shooter.
I would request this to be put back. :)

I'm not the OP, but why the H*** was this moved to the Sony forum?
This thread clearly is about how to handle a DSLR in cold weather.
This is clearly as useable to Nikon and Canon and every other shooter as to a Sony shooter.
I would request this to be put back. :)

I didn't request it.

Regardless, this can be closed. I've found what I need.

Hey everyone,

Also, does anyone know the operating range for the Sony A57 (my camera)?

Thanks,
TehYoyo

No, but I used an A77 down to -37 below this February with no problems.

Keep your head, hands and feet warm. A lot depends on how long you will be outside, the camera will get cold, the lens will get cold, neither will fog up until you hit the warm temps again. If you have been outside for for more than 2 hours everything will be slowing and you will run the batteries down quicker, if you have spares keep them inside your jacket close to your body. When you head back inside and things start to warm up, do not go back outside with the camera, if it is damp, you will risk damage to the camera and lens. You will have to wait until the gear is dry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back