Tips for taking band photos

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ddeerreekk, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm in a band and am pretty involved with the music scene in my city, so I figured merging my photography into music would be a good niche for me. I have a number of bands that I could photograph and I really want to do this seriously, since it's kinda my ideal 'job'.

Anybody have some good tips or links to tutorials that would help me out? I'm looking for photos similar to ones like those by Joey Lawrence (Joey Lawrence Fine Art - click commercial > music) or Dave Hill (Dave Hill Photography).

I'm not really looking for technical lighting or pp tips to achieve that 'look', but rather tips on posing, location, getting ideas and stuff like that. I really want to find a cool location do these in but it also should have some plug ins available for the lights and stuff.

Thanks, any help or insight is appreciated.
    Derek

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh err. Tips on location? Know the band. If it's a hiphop band then put them in a street, if it's a folk band then put them in a park, if it's a heavy metal band, then put them against a very rough looking studio. Any rock band looks awesome hunched over a mixing desk when posed and lit right.

That's the real tricky thing. Trying to convey their music with only a camera.

3. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What's the best *cheap* option for taking on location photographs with your strobes? Obviously if there's a plug in within extension cord distance you could use that, otherwise is there any type of alternative that's not going to break the bank?

Also, I know of some good abandoned buildings that would be cool, but who would I have to contact in order to get permission?

Thanks,
    Derek

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    2-3 speedlights... you can pick them up used between 20 and 150 bucks, that and a couple lightstands and maybe an umbrella or two and some wireless triggers are good.

To get permission... the band's agent or the band leader themselves if they have no agent and the owner of the location where the shots happen... IN WRITING. Abandoned buildings... you will never get permissions to get in there, so take your chances and do it, or just find better places to go to.

Positioning, lighting... impossible to give you tips short of... get the basics of photography down, practice like crazy. Maybe visit, read, learn, master lighting from over at www.strobist.com and their lighting 101 and 102 courses.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  5. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, to clarify, I'm not looking for cheap lights (I already have all my lights), but I cheap way to use them on location (a mobile power source, basically). I assume I'd have to get a generator or something? Or possibly something that you can charge up before hand?

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Car battery + sine inverter would probably be the cheapest option but that would still set you back about half as much as for an example an alienbee's battery pack or a small honda generator.

7. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have speedlights, why an external power source?

8. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just have studio strobes, not speedlights. Do they just take batteries or what?

9. jmoore7507

jmoore7507 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My husband is a photographer who does mostly bands and on location. He uses the Vagabond. Its a battery that you plug in to the wall to charge then take it to the location, plug in your lights, turn it on, and you're ready to go. It's like $300 new, you might be able to find them cheaper on ebay. The price might seem high, but my husband uses his for just about every shoot (weddings, senior portraits, etc.) and we've taken it all over the country and its awesome. It's a great investment! AlienBees: Vagabond Portable Power System

10. ddeerreekk

ddeerreekk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Approximately how many lights does he plug into it and how many shots does it last?

11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  12. Paparoksguitar

Paparoksguitar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit