Tips for taking band photos

ddeerreekk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in a band and am pretty involved with the music scene in my city, so I figured merging my photography into music would be a good niche for me. I have a number of bands that I could photograph and I really want to do this seriously, since it's kinda my ideal 'job'.

Anybody have some good tips or links to tutorials that would help me out? I'm looking for photos similar to ones like those by Joey Lawrence (Joey Lawrence Fine Art - click commercial > music) or Dave Hill (Dave Hill Photography).

I'm not really looking for technical lighting or pp tips to achieve that 'look', but rather tips on posing, location, getting ideas and stuff like that. I really want to find a cool location do these in but it also should have some plug ins available for the lights and stuff.

Thanks, any help or insight is appreciated.
Derek

Oh err. Tips on location? Know the band. If it's a hiphop band then put them in a street, if it's a folk band then put them in a park, if it's a heavy metal band, then put them against a very rough looking studio. Any rock band looks awesome hunched over a mixing desk when posed and lit right.

That's the real tricky thing. Trying to convey their music with only a camera.

Oh err. Tips on location? Know the band. If it's a hiphop band then put them in a street, if it's a folk band then put them in a park, if it's a heavy metal band, then put them against a very rough looking studio. Any rock band looks awesome hunched over a mixing desk when posed and lit right.

That's the real tricky thing. Trying to convey their music with only a camera.

What's the best *cheap* option for taking on location photographs with your strobes? Obviously if there's a plug in within extension cord distance you could use that, otherwise is there any type of alternative that's not going to break the bank?

Also, I know of some good abandoned buildings that would be cool, but who would I have to contact in order to get permission?

Thanks,
Derek

2-3 speedlights... you can pick them up used between 20 and 150 bucks, that and a couple lightstands and maybe an umbrella or two and some wireless triggers are good.

To get permission... the band's agent or the band leader themselves if they have no agent and the owner of the location where the shots happen... IN WRITING. Abandoned buildings... you will never get permissions to get in there, so take your chances and do it, or just find better places to go to.

Positioning, lighting... impossible to give you tips short of... get the basics of photography down, practice like crazy. Maybe visit, read, learn, master lighting from over at www.strobist.com and their lighting 101 and 102 courses.

Last edited:
2-3 speedlights... you can pick them up used between 20 and 150 bucks, that and a couple lightstands and maybe an umbrella or two and some wireless triggers are good.

Sorry, to clarify, I'm not looking for cheap lights (I already have all my lights), but I cheap way to use them on location (a mobile power source, basically). I assume I'd have to get a generator or something? Or possibly something that you can charge up before hand?

Car battery + sine inverter would probably be the cheapest option but that would still set you back about half as much as for an example an alienbee's battery pack or a small honda generator.

If you have speedlights, why an external power source?

My husband is a photographer who does mostly bands and on location. He uses the Vagabond. Its a battery that you plug in to the wall to charge then take it to the location, plug in your lights, turn it on, and you're ready to go. It's like $300 new, you might be able to find them cheaper on ebay. The price might seem high, but my husband uses his for just about every shoot (weddings, senior portraits, etc.) and we've taken it all over the country and its awesome. It's a great investment! AlienBees: Vagabond Portable Power System

My husband is a photographer who does mostly bands and on location. He uses the Vagabond. Its a battery that you plug in to the wall to charge then take it to the location, plug in your lights, turn it on, and you're ready to go. It's like $300 new, you might be able to find them cheaper on ebay. The price might seem high, but my husband uses his for just about every shoot (weddings, senior portraits, etc.) and we've taken it all over the country and its awesome. It's a great investment! AlienBees: Vagabond Portable Power System

Approximately how many lights does he plug into it and how many shots does it last?

I own a new Vagaond II battery pack and love it for powering my studio head when portability is needed. It was brand new for $299, and thats a STEAL compared to other products on the market. It comes with it's own small battery and inverter and has enough "jiuce" to power my 1000 W/s head for 300 full power shots... 600 if you use 1/2 power.

If that is not enough, you can attach an external car battery to it and that is good for 1200-1500 full power blasts.

The Vagabond II is the most reasonably priced portable battery pack on the market. As a matter of fact, if you wanted to make it yourself, all you *may* save is 20-30 bucks, but need to take the time to purchase the SLA battery and pure sinewave inverter yourself and put it all together, making the end product cost you more, if you value your time to even minimum wage levels.

Just a quick note... you want a Vagabond II unit, not the older original Vagabond units. They had a few issues with reliability and longevity that were addressed with the newer ones.

I own a new Vagaond II battery pack and love it for powering my studio head when portability is needed. It was brand new for $299, and thats a STEAL compared to other products on the market. It comes with it's own small battery and inverter and has enough "jiuce" to power my 1000 W/s head for 300 full power shots... 600 if you use 1/2 power.

If that is not enough, you can attach an external car battery to it and that is good for 1200-1500 full power blasts.

The Vagabond II is the most reasonably priced portable battery pack on the market. As a matter of fact, if you wanted to make it yourself, all you *may* save is 20-30 bucks, but need to take the time to purchase the SLA battery and pure sinewave inverter yourself and put it all together, making the end product cost you more, if you value your time to even minimum wage levels.

Just a quick note... you want a Vagabond II unit, not the older original Vagabond units. They had a few issues with reliability and longevity that were addressed with the newer ones.

lol that last note is amazing thanks jerry. umm stray away from the vagabond on ebay then its a I. i was looking at those before. pretty slick.

I shoot bands from time to time and it really depends on their style of music. You'll also find that most bands already have an idea of the look they're going for - if not a broad idea of what they want it to feel like. I like to have meetings with them over drinks and discuss their ideas. It's fun, you get to know them better, and it will show you really care about THEIR vision too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back