Tips on How to Practice for Band shots?

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi all, im getting a d40 for xmas and am primarily planning on shoot live bands. i am looking for tips on how to prepare/practice for this. i know it will be dark with stage lighting and fast moving people.

just looking for settings or possibly ways to practice shots like that at home. thanks

just go and shoot. If there a band you're specifically shooting, practice shooting other bands. I've only ever shot one band so far, and, well, let's just say they're the epitome of crazy stage presence. After shooting them, I feel like anyone else would be simple. One thing I've learned is to use a flash if you have one, it's a must to get anything sharp. it's really one of those thing you have to just go do, since you can't really simulate a crowd or stage lighting without, well, a crowd or stage lighting ;)

A flash would work wonderfully as long as you bounce the light and dont have a direct flash cause you want to have some effect of the stage lights. Here are a couple that I have done with no flash. Just my 500 f1.8 and 1600 or 800 iso......

Took all of these with my Kit lens with ISO 800 I believe. El Ten Eleven show was last night. Incredible band to see live if you haven't heard of them.

15861_184785066911_500091911_2868906_564542_n.jpg

15861_184785071911_500091911_2868907_2777847_n.jpg

15861_184785096911_500091911_2868911_3054044_n.jpg

15861_184785101911_500091911_2868912_1020914_n.jpg

Not the sharpest of photos. Also, notice they're from facebook which decimates quality. Honestly, I just got up close and acted like I belonged there. That's really all you have to do. I also used spot metering and tried to aim for a bright-ish spot on the guitar or backdrop to give me a relatively quick shutter speed while still making a decent exposure. No flash or anything was used, as my only lighting equipment right now is the sun w/ several cloud diffusers.

i lold at ur user name.

i do have a little brother.

so if i set a fast shutter speed, wide aperture and dont point the flash directly at them i should be alright?im not really looking for the streaking and stuff. but sometimes i dont mind it.

hi all, im getting a d40 for xmas and am primarily planning on shoot live bands. i am looking for tips on how to prepare/practice for this. i know it will be dark with stage lighting and fast moving people.

just looking for settings or possibly ways to practice shots like that at home. thanks

Tip 1: If you have your heart set on Nikon, don't get anything less than a D90.

High ISO is needed to get a fast shutter speed. The higher the ISO, the worse the noise is in the image. Certain sensors and certain cameras suck at High ISO performance. Those are cameras with CCD sensors.

Fast apertures are needed for high shutter speed. f/2.8 and wider will most likely be needed.

I wanted to shoot bands when I first started getting into digital photography. I had a 300D and a 50 f/1.8. The photos then don't compare to the photos now with a 5D MKII and the f/2.8 (I can use a narrower apeture because I can cleanly shoot at 6400 ISO) lenses that I have. But that's $XXX vs. $XXXX worth of gear.

Plus the D40 won't AF with certain lenses and I think the Nikon 50 f/1.8 is one of those. AF can be pretty important when shooting an active band.

hi,

in my limited experience, you'll want a slow shutter speed to capture the ambient light and very little flash to fill the shadows on your subject... (remember that once you double the flash-subject distance, light decays 4 times, so again, just enough flash to light your subject but not enough to light the background!).

the next picture was taken at 55mm, 1/30s, f/2.8, iso 800, and the onboard flash (which is all i have, so not bounced :S) set to ttl (-2ev compensation).

13835_1203656263392_1588171628_30520847_241051_n.jpg

also, if the band is really agressive and fast moving, it helps to know when the "slow" parts of the show are coming so you take your pictures then.

hope it helps
nacho

ps: there's very little pp in this pic... pretty much what i got from camera.

And most bands don't appreciate using flash. There's typically enough light from the stage lights to get good enough photos.

For those of you taking band shots (great ones posted so far btw), are these professional concerts or just amateur bands? For those just going to a concert for a big artist, do you ever have a problem getting into venues with a DSLR? I know most places have signs for no photography, and I've never had a problem getting in and using a point and shoot. I'm new to DSLRs though and I wasn't sure if security is more responsive when they see a big zoom lens or even a built in flash pop up

I recommend a bright prime, a camera that shoots at least iso 3200, and the use of "artistic" angles.

14.jpg

15.jpg

3.jpg

For those of you taking band shots (great ones posted so far btw), are these professional concerts or just amateur bands? For those just going to a concert for a big artist, do you ever have a problem getting into venues with a DSLR? I know most places have signs for no photography, and I've never had a problem getting in and using a point and shoot. I'm new to DSLRs though and I wasn't sure if security is more responsive when they see a big zoom lens or even a built in flash pop up

If you want to do "pro" acts, find some local venues that host bigger national acts and start small. Don't expect to be able to shoot Zack Wylde, or Blink 182. Contact the band's management and PR. Go to their website and look for e-mail links or find out what record label they're on, go to the label site, and e-mail the label.

Getting passes for Badfish (sublime cover band) was a lot easier than for a band like August Burns Red.

A sure fire way to get photo pit passes is to get a job with a publication, it could really even be volunteer. Find a local music publication and offer to shoot for them.

It takes persistance. That's probably the only way you'll get in with a DSLR without sneaking one in some how. Plus, there's no way I'd want to be in the middle of the floor at a Drop Kick Murphys show with $5000 worth of camera equipment.

Tips:
1. Forget flash. Unless you can place it off-camera, which is not commonly possible at concerts, your pics will look much worse than available concert light;
2. Forget D40. Its high ISO suck and it won't focus with the good primes;
3. If you can afford it, go with Nikon D90 + 50mm 1.8. If you can't, you should try any Canon Rebel from 350D over and a 50mm 1.8. Canon is CMOS and performs well even in 1600 ISO.
It's very likely that you'll start shooting small bands in places with dim light. The faster you can go with aperture and ISO, the better.

Tips:
1. Forget flash. Unless you can place it off-camera, which is not commonly possible at concerts, your pics will look much worse than available concert light;
2. Forget D40. Its high ISO suck and it won't focus with the good primes;
3. If you can afford it, go with Nikon D90 + 50mm 1.8. If you can't, you should try any Canon Rebel from 350D over and a 50mm 1.8. Canon is CMOS and performs well even in 1600 ISO.
It's very likely that you'll start shooting small bands in places with dim light. The faster you can go with aperture and ISO, the better.

Not to knock on Nikon or Canon for their great products but you could also look at a Sony A200 or the newer a330/a380 and their 50mm f1.8. ( my set-up for bands is the A200 with the 50 1.8). The hight iso on those cameras is REALLY good plus it has steady shot built in to the camera body instead of the lens which will save SOME money on lenses. But shop around and see what you can afford.

Well I was at a Jason Mraz concert over the summer with a Sony point and shoot. Not looking for pro quality, but I got some half way decent pictures from 50 rows back. Wondering if I could find myself in the same situation with a DSLR

Most reactions

New Topics

Back