Tips on photographing computer case/tower?

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't know how I managed it, I posted this in the wrong place the first time, have tried to delete it or move it, but no success, so I am just posting again here.

I have a business wanting a series of photographs of a computer case/tower. Ordinarily I would use a light tent for small products, but since a computer case is a bit larger than that, I am not quite sure the best way to do it. I thought of building a custom tent to suit the size, or just putting it on a normal studio set-up. Any ideas? Anyone shot this type of thing before, and can offer some tips?

Before anyone could offer any tips you'd need to say what the customer wants.
An Alienware computer case has a dramatically different lighting setup than a Mac Pro.

For a soft product style look I would initially guess at a large soft box and surround the product with white panels to imitate the engulfing light of a light tent.

Garbz is so right - what is your client going to do? Internet, print or catalog just to name a few. If you're going book this work, you MUST know the proper questions to ask.
Is there an AD involved and how about any corporate standards to consider?

Resolution, backgrounds, lighting style the complements what they've done before, or are they looking for something original and creative.

You gotta ask.
g

I really should have mentioned that from the beginning. It is a sleek black and silver, nothing crazy, but nothing boring.

They want it on a clean crisp background, preferably black, but white is fine as long as it's sleek and seamless.

I also asked for dimensions, which I have if anyone needs it.

Oh and it is for advertising, on a website, and there are no corporate issues to consider, the owner of the company is the one I am doing business with.

Thought so, try the softbox + reflector idea. A couple of A3 sheets of white paper may do the job if the computer isn't completely glossy and thus may reflect your lighting setup.

Most reactions

Back