Tips on shooting Overnight Walk

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll be a volunteering photographer and shooting the walkers from midnight to 6:30am. It will be pitch dark, and this is going to be my first time. I may shoot at iso 1600 and around 1/100 shutter speed with a speedlight. Would that be enough? I thought about shooting at 1/60 because the flash will freeze the images. I'm not too sure about the images will get sharped. Tips?

How close will you be able to get to the participants? If you can get reasonably close (<20') and you have a decent speedlight (GN ~100 or better), you should be able to drop that down to 640-800 ISO and still be fine. If it's going to be completely dark, I wouldn't worry too much about SS; there won't be enough ambient light for a one-stop difference to matter in the least.

Have you talked to the organizers and verified that it's OK to use Flash Photography on the walkers? If it's very dark their night vision will be trashed for a time and someone may stumble or fall?

Infra red camera and IR lighting.

Yes.
Tell us what the ambient light conditions will be.

If the walk is on city sidewalks under street lights, or if the walk is in a remote forest on a moonless night, makes a lot of difference.
Will most of the walkers be using flashlights.
What is the GN number rating for your flash unit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back