Tips on taking pictures in the Rocky Mountains :)

lance70

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, my wife and I are heading to CO next month and I would love to get some tips from people on camera settings and some dos and don'ts when taking pictures in the rockies :) Thanks!

Lance

What gear do you currently have?

Landscape photography typically consists of:

- a wide angle lens
- tripod
- various filters (more common is the circular polarizer)
- setting your camera in AV (Aperture Value) and using a aperture of f/8 - f/16.
- keeping in mind various composition rules (horizons, 3rds, leading lines, patterns, angles, triangles,...).
- great landscapes can often be enhanced with some foreground interest
- best times of day to shoot are sunrise and sunset
- take your time when walking around, dont rush.
- wear sunscreen, a hat, and drink plenty of water

Get and use a tripod. Use a remote or the camera's self timer so you don't have to touch the camera when it fires. This means you don't really have to worry about the shutter speed, so consider using an aperture of at least F8 and go to a smaller aperture like F22 or F29 when you really need to maximize you DOF.

I would suggest using a circular polarizer filter.

Figure out which time of day to shoot certain sights. For example, an East facing mountain face will looks spectacular in the morning but will turn to a dark mass in the evening. It usually takes some time to drive or hike to the different sites, so plan your shooting days so that you can hit your sites at the right time.

Get up early. The air is usually nice and crisp in the morning but gets hazy as the day gets older....especially in late summer. Also, I've found that mountain lakes are more calm in the early morning, so if you want to get those nice reflection shots, the morning is the best time. Of course, if you are in a touristy area, it helps to get there before the buss loads of people get there.

Look for the very first and very last light on the tops of the mountains. Some call this Alpine Glow and you can sometimes get nice warm hues from the early/late sun.

Be persistent. Sometimes you have to sit in your location and wait for things to be just right. Other times you have to keep returning to a spot to see if things are just right.
As Ansel Adams said: "Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

I lived in Colorado for thirty-five years.
I don't know where you live but if it's not at high altitude you will feel an effect.

If you leave the road, carry a small pack with warm clothes. In the fall, you can start walking in beautiful, fairly warm weather and be facing a snowstorm in a matter of minutes. I was fishing a high lake in a little plastic boat one fall, enjoying the sun and soaking up some rays, and a storm came over the mountain. I barely made it to shore. In August, nighttime temperatures in the high country approach freezing.

Fall is the mating season for elk, deer, and moose. The males are nuts. Enjoy your telephoto lens and resist the temptation to get up close and personal. They aren't tame and have been known to attack inanimate objects, like semis.

Resist the temptation to climb unless you're really sure of your abilities.

There are some great photos waiting. Enjoy.

oh sorry I didn't list that, we have a D90 and the basic kit lens, the 18-105, and the 55-200. Wish we could buy a wide angle lens right now but maybe next year, thanks.

yeah trust me if your gonna travel that much in mountains or anywhere, a wide angle really is worth it

Wish we could buy a wide angle lens right now but maybe next year,
Have you considered renting one?

That's a good idea, I do work close to a camera shop, wouldn't hurt to call them up and at least price that out, thanks :)

Heck, if you are a savvy salesman...you could buy a used one, then sell it for just as much when you are done with it.

Whoa.. you can rent lenses? Hmmmm since I'm going to the camera store after work to fix my busted controller lol I might check into that...

Whoa.. you can rent lenses? Hmmmm since I'm going to the camera store after work to fix my busted controller lol I might check into that...

Absolutely! Although not all stores rent them, most cities have a camera shop that does. That is how many of us try out lenses we are considering purchasing and it is also a great way to use an expensive lens you may not be able to afford to purchase or may only have limited use for. There are also outfits that rent out lenses over the internet if you don't have a local shop that you like.

Just be careful with "over renting". It will become more cost advantageous (sp) to just buy the lens after a few rentals.

I believe a 70-200 f/2.8 IS is $40 for a weekend, $120 for 7 days
So good for the odd weekend need, but if it becomes something you need on a regular basis, then might as well buy it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back