TIRED OF RED EYE !!!

hOAGART

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all -

Greetings from Annapolis, MD. I am an HR guy by day and a Dj by night.

I have made it my New Years resolution to actually figure out how my camera works and operates and how to control it, and not have it control my photos with red-eye.

I will scope out the forum over the next few days and hopefully get some good understanding 101 questions down before posting my own dumass questions.

Thanks!

-hOAG

:wav:

Welcome aboard.

You won't get any red-eye at all if you don't use the flash. If you use flash, the closer it is to the lens the more likely you are to get red-eye.

Welcome aboard.

If you're using the onboard flash, then the only way to reduce redeye is to use the redeye flash mode, which preflashes and contracts both of the subject's iris before shooting. You get redeye because the flash is firing directly into peoples eyes and reflecting back.

One trick I used to do back when I was a newbie with a point and shoot is to deflect your flash's light with a white card or even your hand. Bounce the flash to a wall or ceiling, whichever is closest. The camera will automatically realize that it suddenly needs more light and it should know to increase the flash power when you do this, so you'll still get a good exposure (most of the time).

Welcome aboard.

You won't get any red-eye at all if you don't use the flash. If you use flash, the closer it is to the lens the more likely you are to get red-eye.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately im a flash-oholic.

If you're using the onboard flash, then the only way to reduce redeye is to use the redeye flash mode, which preflashes and contracts both of the subject's iris before shooting. You get redeye because the flash is firing directly into peoples eyes and reflecting back.

One trick I used to do back when I was a newbie with a point and shoot is to deflect your flash's light with a white card or even your hand. Bounce the flash to a wall or ceiling, whichever is closest. The camera will automatically realize that it suddenly needs more light and it should know to increase the flash power when you do this, so you'll still get a good exposure (most of the time).

Great info Dub.. thanks for the tips. I thought I was using the reduction, but its possible I messed with the settings and screwed it up. I will try the white card trick.

-h

Most reactions

Back