TLR Recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Meysha, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi everyone!
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a possible TLR I could buy. I'm only looking at getting an entry level TLR so no fancy rollei's for me just yet :-( *sob*

I'm mainly going to be using it to experiment with so no specific uses - but shall be photographing people and mainly outdoor cityscapes and just normal outdoors arty farty stuff. I want a camera though that is going to give me nice sharp images.... but I don't want to have to pay through the nose for it. Under a couple of hundred aussie dollars please. :)

So what brands should I be looking up on eBay? I guess once I know a few of the different brand names it'll help out my research heaps.

Thanks!! :hug::

2. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Meysha, I would take a hard look at the Yashica TLR cameras. Affordable, great glass, easy to work with. The only disadvantage being the lack of lens interchangeability. A Yashicamat 124 would be great. As a matter of fact, there is a Yashica on Ebay that has one of the earlier lenses, presumably made in Germany, and sharper than the usual Yashikors or Yashinons they come with. It's a lens called Lumaxar and it's very desirable from the collector's point of view. Also a grrrrreat performer. Outside of that I would look into the Mamyia C2 or C3 (220 or 330), a bit more expensive but offering lens interchangeability (Wide, Normal, Tele). Of course there are more options but these two offer the most for the money and also there's plenty of them, should one break can be easily fixed due to the abundance of spare parts. Rolleicords can also be good but they're somewhat problematic.

I hope this helps a bit with your decision. ;)

3. Meysha

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you so much! That gives me something to work with... there's not actually that many on the australian ebay at the moment.... so I might have to wait a bit for a good bargain to come around. Looks like I'll be hitting the 2nd hand shops next weekend! Yay! :cheer:

4. Soocom1

Soocom1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also look into the Minolta Autocord Series.
    I have one of those as well as an old Walsflex.

If you have to have new on a budget I will (gasp!) actually say try the Seagull TLR.

It is a Chinese number, but for the money, you cant go wrong.

5. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yashicamat 124 G is my favorite camera. And that includes my dRebel XT.

6. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm voting Yashica also. :biggrin:

7. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Rolleicords are cheaper than Yashica 124s...

8. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    I have a YashicaMAT 124. Not a bad camera for the price ($45 on eBay) but I do miss a built in light meter. Rumor has it that the 124G takes care of this little problem, but I haven't gotten around to finding out for sure.

9. Meysha

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But are they really a better deal? How's their image quality?

And Mitica said they're problematic..... how?

10. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, the 124G has a light meter. Mine is right on. From what I understand, Rollei's optics aren't quite as nice as what can be had on the Yashica's. But I don't know for sure.

11. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Meysha, the Rolleicords have a more sensitive shutter which tends to gum up faster than the Yashicas' shutters. On top of that, the Yashinon is a wonderful lens, better IMO than the Yashikor, let alone the Zeiss lenses of the Rolleicord, crsiper and very sharp from corner to corner. The Lumaxar that I mentioned before is even sharper than that, but they are rare. When Yashica started making the TLR cameras they worked out a deal with the German lens makers and made a lens for the first batch of their TLRs called Lumaxar. After that they went to Yashikors and eventually to Yashinons. I had a Yashica D which I sold many moons ago, still sorry I parted with it. I honestly don't know why people don't give them the credit they deserve.

And think about the Rolleicords, the cheaper ones are the older ones, which are more prone to a gum-up problem, while the Yashicas are of a more recent production. Hence, IMO, the Yashicas are a better buy. If you want sharpness, go with Yashica, for portraits go with a Mamyia C2 or C3 (softer lens but beautiful!). And I would go for a 124, not a 124-G, if you're used to a hand-held meter.

12. imagemaker

imagemaker TPF Noob!

Hello Mitica,

I was intrigued reading the above regarding the Lumaxar lens on the older YashicaMats. I just picked one up at eBay, and am curious if you know a little more about the lens, and who the manufacturer is. Do you also know a good source of information on this particular camera?

Thanks!
    imagemaker