To add borders to your digital images or not

aMac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've seen a lot of people choose to add black (or otherwise) borders to their images when displaying them on the web as a framing device, but what's the practical or artistic reason for doing so?

Personal choice really, I suppose, but it's interesting to hear what it adds. There's something nagging me in my mind from when I studied art on why adding frames/borders can add to a piece but for the life of me I can't recall it.

Personally, I rarely see the purpose of adding borders. I think for posting photos on the internet, the border usually takes away from the photograph because it's something additional for people to pay attention to. However, there are many people on this site who add borders, so I'm interested to hear what they think.

I do because my pictures end up in various places at times. Posting a picture against a white background can make it look very different than a black background. I just add a border to keep it consistent. I do agree though, many borders here detract from the image and don't add to it. Mine are simple black borders which rarely (I hope) catch the viewer's attention. In fact I'd like to think it kind of focuses attention on the picture.

My final prints never have borders but then I glue them into a portfolio and that's that.

The black border idea is pretty good. Not unlike the black bars on wide screen video.

IMO, it's all about the presentation of the image. For a portfolio that includes slideshow/s, or galleries, frames and/or borders can work well.
Sometimes a border or digitally created frame adds to a theme within the image.
For example, if you were trying to achieve an aged photo look for a newly restored antique car for presentation on the web or slideshow a frame could really enhance the presentation.
Or for real old photos that you're restoring.
To print an image with a digital frame doesn't really make sense.
But I could see where a simple black border or a B/W border with a very simple monochromatic pattern could work for print in some cases.
Again, depends on the presentation.

For traditional photography, or digital photography with minimal editing, borders aren't very practical.

the photo should dictate the presentation.

In the 70's it was very popular to show the rebate of the film when printing an image as it shows that there wasn't any cropping (post processing of a sort).

However, as with most things in life, it got over used and began to disappear.

when you post the images on a website, you usually already have a monochrome uniform background. whereas when you hang them on a wall, the frame helps to separate the image from the messy wall ;)

Generally I use borders. Subtle white borders on a neutral background. It improves the presentation. People may argue that they are not necessary on screen, but I think a frame does help.

Borderless or, unframed images on screen sometimes appear to 'float'. Also, when the background colour is the same as large areas in the image the composition can get lost. A particular problem for B&W images on white, grey or, black backgrounds. A simple white frame prevents this.

If you do use borders it's a good idea to make the bottom border a little thicker than the top and sides. This helps to 'hold the image up'.

Generally I use borders. Subtle white borders on a neutral background. It improves the presentation. People may argue that they are not necessary on screen, but I think a frame does help.

Borderless or, unframed images on screen sometimes appear to 'float'. Also, when the background colour is the same as large areas in the image the composition can get lost. A particular problem for B&W images on white, grey or, black backgrounds. A simple white frame prevents this.

If you do use borders it's a good idea to make the bottom border a little thicker than the top and sides. This helps to 'hold the image up'.

ok, I myself use very thin and subtle white borders on my webpage for exactly those reasons.

The use of borders is simply an adaptation of traditional printing and matting/framing techniques. The black border originally came from filing down the edges of your negative holders. Other borders are emulations of mats and frames.

I like to use borders because of the different backgrounds of the webpages. One website I go to uses a light blue background and I think it detracts from the pictures, so I use a solid black border. In my opinion it looks better against any "bright" background. I can't see the need for one on a print though, if I want a frame on a print, I'll by a real one.

How do you add a border in photoshop anyway? Is there some quick way im overlooking?

I usually don't use borders, simply because for the same reason that some people do. I think most people will understand that I don't control the background, and adding another visual element that may, or may not work with the background doesn't help with that IMO. However, occasionally I'll have an image that I think needs a border as part of the image itself, and if that's the case, I'll add one.

For web viewing I never add a border. Mostly because I want the image to stand out; not the frame. When I have them mounted there is always a 2-3 inch white border. So yeah. I love borders, but not black ones.

I also remember cut out negative carriers. Luckily that style fell by the wayside.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back