To all of you macro-ers.

How do you go about shooting your macros?

• With a tripod and a VR macro lens

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • With a tripod and a non-VR macro lens

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • With a monopod and a VR macro lens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With a monopod and a non-VR macro lens

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Handheld with a VR macro lens

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Handheld with a non-VR macro lens

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Other (Please specify wiht reply)

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am extremely interested in shooting macros when I get my DSLR and I have questions as to how to do some things so I figured I would start a poll about it. Bear with me and please vote to help me out. Thanks.

Mark

A tripod is not realistic unless you are shooting still subjects.

Your best bet will be hand help with insects and fauna. By the time you set up your tripod the instance may be gone.

A still hand will still be needed and a fast frame rate to capture all motion/

I just shoot handheld with a non-VR macro lens. I also use a Speedlite 430EX, which helps alot. The handheld thing is just something you have to do alot and then you'll get better and better in it.

When you see HOW Daan (doenoe) takes the majority of his macro photos, you will understand that neither tri nor monopod can be of assistence to him!

(Photo taken by "Antarctican" during the TPF Germany Meet-Up in May, to be found in Post 144 on Page 3 of the Meet-Up thread in the General Gallery!)

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8554/img0155pcrch9.jpg

Always use a tripod if you can. There are some situations where it's not practical, but I've used a tripod for probably 75% of my macro work. A monopod has limited application as does VR/IS. If you can't use a tripod, then hand-held is generally the next best option.

Just a point, but Nikon is the only camera company that makes a VR macro lens - and the VR does not function in macro mode (if it does you gain no advantage and might even lose sharpness). The VR does work in the normal mode for using the lens - so its not waste to have.

Myself I currently shoot handheld with my sigma 150mm f2.8 macro and a canon speedlite 580M2. I have recently been adding my 2*teleconverter to the setup to get 2:1 macro from the lens - though this is a very tricky lens to use like this as the plain of focus is very fine (takes a lot of practice and more than a few waste shots where the focus is just off).
Handheld gives you a great speed advantage - and if you keep working at it you can get good enough to take shots whilst insects are inflight (though concentrate on grounded ones first!)

Tripod insect macro I have also done - it is slower and works best in the early morning before most insects have warmed up - thus they are more likley to be resting still on a plant - get them still with no wind and you can use a tripod and very wide aperture (f2.8) and you can take series of shots at differnet focuses (moving the focusing rail closer/further away) and then combine the shots together toget a stacked effect - that gives you the great background blur of f2.8 along with the deeper depth of field that you would usually get with a smaller aperture

Last edited:
I shoot with out a tripod normally, however ive read up on people who set up near a popular flower (one where many insects land around) and just wait for insects to land. i have never used this technique i dont yet see the advantage of it over mobility.

oops wronge thread ;)

ahem - as for the advantage of waiting with a tripod - well handheld can get tiring on the arms after while ;) whilst the tripod method also allows you to use things such as mirror lock-up and a remote to get much sharper - as a result of stability - results than handheld - it also allows for a slower shutter speed

Thats what I was thinking, a tripod with a remote so you wont have anything moving the camera to create camera shake.

Mark

I was refering more to insect macro. i guess those would apply to those insects that like to laze around one spot. im gonna kick out my tripod today after work and give it a shot.

good luck - like I said morning is really the best time for this - not that you can't find a resting insect in the evening, but they tend to be a little more active (after all the heating from the day) so its a fine balance.

Sometimes monopod, sometimes tripod, usually handheld.

Non VR macro lens (Canon 100mm f2.8 macro).

Off camera flash (430EX) -- still waiting to get a chance to try my new DIY ringflash on insects ...

Ok, so my first subject will probably be a spider or bee. Should I start with handheld with non-"VR" lens? Im guessing higher apeture and quick shutter speed?

Mark

what lens are you specifically looking at (might warrent a new thread?)
like I said the VR won't gain you anything in the macro world, but is a boon for regular non-macro use of the lens.
100/105mm I would consdier the best minumum for working with insects = whilst 150 and 180 being better ranges for the added working distance

Most reactions

New Topics

Back