To all of you macro-ers.

How do you go about shooting your macros?

• With a tripod and a VR macro lens

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • With a tripod and a non-VR macro lens

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • With a monopod and a VR macro lens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With a monopod and a non-VR macro lens

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Handheld with a VR macro lens

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Handheld with a non-VR macro lens

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Other (Please specify wiht reply)

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
So does this mean that the 70-300 sigma will work well?

Mark
You can buy AF extension tubes that will make anything work as a good macro lens.

These were all taken handheld without VR:

Caterpiller002.jpg

CATERPILLER004.jpg

CATERPILLER003.jpg

Butterfly001.jpg

CATERPILLER007.jpg

CATERPILLER005.jpg

Caterpiller001.jpg

CATERPILLER006.jpg

Background001.jpg

Ant070206001.jpg

Fly070206001.jpg

LWW

Last edited:
I hate to br picky but does anyone have a pic of maybe a spider shot with that lens? In general, as my first macro-ish lens, would this be a good choice?

Mark

I shoot Macro hand held ,using just the built in pop-up flash wrapped in Tissue paper.
Phoenix 100mm Macro 1:1

IMG_2651.jpg

Ant1.jpg

Canon Rebel XT.
Phoenix 100mm Macro 1:1 ( Cheap lens)
I shoot manual because it's hard to focus.. in & out in & out LOL.
So what I do is shoot manual and move the camera back & forth till I hit focus.

Canon Rebel XT.
Phoenix 100mm Macro 1:1 ( Cheap lens)
I shoot manual because it's hard to focus.. in & out in & out LOL.
So what I do is shoot manual and move the camera back & forth till I hit focus.

I usually use MF with my Canon 100mm f2.8 macro when I'm shooting macro too -- I find it is more reliable especially when working with very small DOF.

Your "cheap lens" does a very nice job!

Ive also read somewhere that the Tamron 75-300mm lens does well on the D40/60 and takes good macro shots. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Mark

Your "cheap lens" does a very nice job!

Thanks, There are a lot of throw-a-ways to! but nobody see's them :mrgreen:

I want to get the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro. I got my lens before I really knew better. Got talked into it at Tristate :blushing: It works but......

Ive also read somewhere that the Tamron 75-300mm lens does well on the D40/60 and takes good macro shots. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Mark

Thats not a true macro lens though.. more like a closeup then true macro.

Took this one today during lunch. 105mm 2.8 non-VR, hand-held @ f/45 & 1/60.

dragon21m.jpg

Took this one today during lunch. 105mm 2.8 non-VR, hand-held @ f/45 & 1/60.

dragon21m.jpg

During lunch,eh? Now that's savory! Yummmmy

Great shot!

darn that is good Phranque - and dragonflies tend to be very skittish so its even harder to get them still!
And at f45 (never new there was such a high number!) was this with a macro flash or in very very bright light?

During lunch,eh? Now that's savory! Yummmmy

Ummm....maybe I should have said during lunchtime...LOL :puke-rig:

darn that is good Phranque - and dragonflies tend to be very skittish so its even harder to get them still!
And at f45 (never new there was such a high number!) was this with a macro flash or in very very bright light?

Thank you very much. The Nikon 105 will go to f/57 @ 1:1. And yes, you gotta be real slow coming up on these guys. Took me almost a half-hour to get that shot...:confused:

That was flash shot with this rig:

mb1.jpg

And taking a pose on the tripod:

mb3.jpg

Nice!
Out of interest how hard is it to get used to and use a lighting arrangement like that - surly you get some unbalance to the side with it? So far full frontal flash is all I have to shoot with

I always shoot macro in manual focus, so I will have it preset to the distance or ratio that I want and move myself & rig into focus. You grip the camera grip with one hand and the flash bracket grip with the other, which balances quite nicely, actually. Gives a nice two-handed lock. The slight out of balance part is the flash hanging out there, but it's really not as bad as it looks.
The hard part is your breathing taking you in & out of focus, but I guess being a former competition shooter helps here...breath, breath, heartbeat....squeeze.

I do need a different diffuser, however. I use a gary fong knock-off, which works great (wrapped with foil to focus all of the light in one direction), but if you are not careful, you can have it pointed in a different direction than what you need. If you shoot at 2:1, then move in for that 1:1 on a cooperative bug, the light will be behind it unless you bring the angle of the light in first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back