To all smokers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
core_17 said:
voodoocat said:
So it's socially acceptable to lecture someone on the dangers of smoking... yet, tell someone who's obese they're killing themselves it would offend everyone in earshot.... :scratch:

Well the thing with that is, some people have health reasons that are causing their obesity. It is NOT easy for those people to lose weight.

Honestly, I don't think that's a good comparison. People who smoke CHOOSE to smoke. I don't choose to inherit the genes that I have.
Well some people are more prone to addiction and it's NOT easy for them to quit smoking. The fact is both are illnesses that can be prevented. I'm not defending smoking here by making the comparison. I'm simply stating that I completely disagree with anyone trying to lecture someone about their habits. Most obese people got that way because of the food they eat and the fact that convienence hauls their ass through life without much effort. It's not my place to lecture them on their "habit" just like it's not my place to lecture a smoker.

voodoocat said:
core_17 said:
voodoocat said:
So it's socially acceptable to lecture someone on the dangers of smoking... yet, tell someone who's obese they're killing themselves it would offend everyone in earshot.... :scratch:

Well the thing with that is, some people have health reasons that are causing their obesity. It is NOT easy for those people to lose weight.

Honestly, I don't think that's a good comparison. People who smoke CHOOSE to smoke. I don't choose to inherit the genes that I have.
Well some people are more prone to addiction and it's NOT easy for them to quit smoking. The fact is both are illnesses that can be prevented. I'm not defending smoking here by making the comparison. I'm simply stating that I completely disagree with anyone trying to lecture someone about their habits. Most obese people got that way because of the food they eat and the fact that convienence hauls their ass through life without much effort. It's not my place to lecture them on their "habit" just like it's not my place to lecture a smoker.

Did you just kill this thread :scratch:

:LOL:

I can only speak for the Canadian system in regards to the heavy taxation to cigarettes. We have universal health care and despite gov't revenue on tobacco, it doesn't cover the resulting medical costs.

Walt said:
I can only speak for the Canadian system in regards to the heavy taxation to cigarettes. We have universal health care and despite gov't revenue on tobacco, it doesn't cover the resulting medical costs.

If every one in canada quit smoking hospitals may have to be shut down due too lack of money. Lets say approximatly 5million people smoke, the government rakes in about $6.00 per person per day 365 days a year which is almost 11 billion dollars a year. The Canadian government's solution to every problem is more taxes. In this case they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Sorry I do not mean to attack you, but i will attack the propaganda of our government.

Edit: I have heard that before and it makes no sense to me, it's almost like urban myth. Whoever said that was either misquoted, or the person did not know what they were talking about. Any how the anti-smoking lobby really latched on too it and spread the myth.

These days if a person died of a toe infection and smoked....quess what killed him....smoking of course.

The thing I hate about smokers is they give 2nd hand smoke, which they say is more harmful than first hand.

In most or all of Ottawa I believe, bars and restaurants are not allowed to permit smoking. Your not allowed to smoke on government land in most of Ontario like hospitals or schools. And I think they are working on a law that doesnt allow you to smoke in your car if there is someone under the age of 14 or something in it with you, since the smoke is all in a small area and children are more suseptable to the smoke.

Plus they are putting alot of taxes on cigarettes to help discourage people from buying them. No idea why kids start up these days.

Ok, I stareted this thread so I feel responsible for adding my own opinion.

1. In PL the cost of a pach is about $1.5 US only.
2. I smoke only 3-4 cigarettes a day, and as I said earlier I can give it up any day. I don't see problems in "not smoking". Today I want to smoke - ok I smoke, the other day I just don't want to, so I don't - this is a strange kind of addiction.

mentos_007 said:
Ok, I stareted this thread so I feel responsible for adding my own opinion.

1. In PL the cost of a pach is about $1.5 US only.
2. I smoke only 3-4 cigarettes a day, and as I said earlier I can give it up any day. I don't see problems in "not smoking". Today I want to smoke - ok I smoke, the other day I just don't want to, so I don't - this is a strange kind of addiction.

Well, if that really is true and you aren't just in denial, then you are extremely rare to be able to give up something so addicting just like that.

Isnt it a person like Mentos' choice whether or not she wants to smoke or not?

Maybe she is in denial, maybe shes not (no disrespect to you Mentos) but my point is that we all hate to be told what to do, whether its by people who love us or not.

Smoking is an addiction as Chad says. Whether you choose to pass judgement on them or not is your own choice also.

Karalee said:

Maybe she is in denial, maybe shes not (no disrespect to you Mentos) but my point is that we all hate to be told what to do, whether its by people who love us or not.

Smoking is an addiction as Chad says. Whether you choose to pass judgement on them or not is your own choice also.

I'm not saying it's not her choice, I'm just saying if she really can quit just like that, she's rare.

Karalee said:

In all fairness, I don't think she was telling Mentos to quit, but just stating that it is very rare for a person to be able to so easily give up something that is so addictive.

see she isnt the only one though. im the same way, i can smoke a cigarette and not even have the urge to do it again for months...

its a psychological thing whether or not your personality is addictive. i dont think ive ever been addicted to anything, except girls.

md

ok this is the last thing I'm gonna say about this....

I just can't for the life of me see how someone can make a choice to physically harm themselves and do damage to the body that is not repairable! Eating fatting foods is one thing (lets for the sake of argument not talk about the cardiovascular system) because most of the harmful effects can be repaired (in one way or another) but a damaged lung can not be repaired. I thought humans were self preserving in nature, but I guess I'm mistaken...

and thats all I have to say about that.

Zach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back