To be a dog photographer or not?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, a lot of people who don't know anything about photography actually like my photos especially the nonprofit organizations. They even call me a professional photographer. Few years back, many of you slammed me real good. Those of you who remembered. I have not started my own bussines, yet. I still have my current job and thinking about having a part time job as dog photographer. I posted a few dog photos for critique. I got a few likes, and I think that is a good thing. However, people outside of the photo forum encourage me to start my own business as a dog photographer. What is your thought in this?

What she ^^ said. If you want it, go for it. Just make sure you go into it with your eyes open and realizing how much it will cost to get started and how much time is required to be devoted to business and how little behind the camera.

what kind of dog photography are you talking about?

lifestyle style?
labrador portrait by pixmedic, on Flickr

DSC_4559 by pixmedic, on Flickr

or formal style?
2016-03-03_03-58-39.jpg

2016-03-03_03-58-51.jpg

honestly though...i have no idea what sort of answer you are looking for.
approval? startup ideas? whether or not we think the idea is even feasible?

heres the best i can do...
its easy for other people to say "hey, start a dog photography business".
do you ever have a good meal cooked for you and then tell them they should open a restaurant?
do you tell every friend that bakes they should start a cookie or cake business?
are any of the people saying you should start this photography business knowledgeable enough about both photography and the dog photography market that they are making an informed suggestion?

are you planning on doing this in accordance with your local business statutes or strictly under the table?
have you done any research into what you will need to do dog photography? will you only photograph dogs or will you branch out to other pets as well?
do you have a price model yet? where will you do the photography? will you need additional equipment from what you already have?
do you understand animal grooming or will you outsource that? is there a viable market in your area for pet portraits? have you worked out a CODB so you can set your rates?

before you can even ask yourself if you should start a dog photography business, you should already have those questions answered, because many of those questions will make or break a business plan.
of course, this only really matters if you actually want to do pet photography.

if this was a tl;dr post and you skipped to the end to see if there was a golden nugget waiting in the last few sentences, here it is.

if you want to do dog photography....do it.
you're not quitting your job to try it, so it won't cost you your livelihood to give it a go.
if you think there's a legit chance to make some money, I say go for it.
just make sure all your business bases are covered because it will only take one irate, irrational, and vengeful customer to throw a legal monkey wrench in your little endeavor.

..people outside of the photo forum encourage me to start my own business as a dog photographer. What is your thought in this?
Right.

People who know very little about the professional dog photographing business.

Right.

IMO, if you get really good at it, the ones you'll be photographing are show winners who post their dog's photo above the price for fees or puppies. That's when you'll have a business that will be profitable.

Meanwhile, don't quit your day job. Dog lovers (pet lovers) would be happy to have a good photograph of their pets, but probably would not be willing to pay you well enough to compensate you for your time.

Think of it as a fun sideline that would help you meet girls. If you volunteer for a dog shelter (free photos) then you will have more girls than you need.

Here's a thought for you to get some experience and to get your name out. 1 get some business cards printed 2. Contact the local animal shelters in your area and offer to do free photos of the pets up for adoption once per week, in return for you being allowed to leave your business cards. Word will get out, you'll gain valuable experience working with strange animals, and you'll be doing something good.

Once you feel ready see if the shelters will let you do a photo day, where people can bring in their pets for a photo package, with part of the profits going to the shelter. The shelters generally advertise these type of events on their web site and people share the crap out them on FB. After a few of these you should be able to start booking on your own

Here's a thought for you to get some experience and to get your name out. 1 get some business cards printed 2. Contact the local animal shelters in your area and offer to do free photos of the pets up for adoption once per week, in return for you being allowed to leave your business cards. Word will get out, you'll gain valuable experience working with strange animals, and you'll be doing something good.

Once you feel ready see if the shelters will let you do a photo day, where people can bring in their pets for a photo package, with part of the profits going to the shelter. The shelters generally advertise these type of events on their web site and people share the crap out them on FB. After a few of these you should be able to start booking on your own

Been there, done that! I used to volunteer at my local shelter, but forbidden me to take pictures of there dogs, because I used flash.

Been there, done that! I used to volunteer at my local shelter, but forbidden me to take pictures of there dogs, because I used flash.

Outside or natural light??

Don't use flash

Outside or natural light??

Don't use flash

It was a long story. There was a lot of debates going on in this shelter. I asked them there are several ways to take good pics without using flash. At least, I had a privilege to volunteer for a year.

It was a long story. There was a lot of debates going on in this shelter. I asked them there are several ways to take good pics without using flash.

Sounds like more that just the flash as an issue. Always other shelters.

@pixmedic being a life long dog lover, I've never seen a picture of a fur kid I didn't like, but the last two in the series are my favorites. Especially the last one with the flag, I may have to appropriate that idea!

@pixmedic being a life long dog lover, I've never seen a picture of a fur kid I didn't like, but the last two in the series are my favorites. Especially the last one with the flag, I may have to appropriate that idea!

not like I have a patent on it or anything, so appropriate away!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back