to boring? bad contrast?

WTF?

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what do you guys think of this picture? i dont like it but i dont know why.

P1250002.jpg

Flare? Maybe the clouds in black and white giving a smudgy image sensor look to it?
Maybe it's a bit too boring due to a centered pole-like feel. some angle would be nice, slightly to the left or right, and from the other side of the fence away from the sun IMO.

Hm :scratch: ... well ... yes, on the one hand, fence posts are a very popular subject, so much so that I love to photograph them, too, and have always meant to start a special theme on only those in the Photo Themes.

Which means they have been photographed often. Which may account for your finding your photo a bit boring, or fearing that others might find it boring. Maybe?

But you tried a different POV, which I appreciate, and your fence post has something extra, i.e. that old rope. That sure adds an element to your fence post photo that not all fence post photos have.

Light was difficult. You had to include a bit of sun - or what went as "sun", the brightest spot in the cloud cover - in your photo. Maybe that powerfully bright spot bothers you?

What bothers me more than that, though, is the fact that not all of the rope is inside your frame. There you have an extra element to a fence post photo and it is not all to be seen. :( And there would have been room to move the camera a little and get it all...

And I think I'd have placed the whole post/rope-constellation more towards the right of the frame. It is not ALL centred but quite close to the middle of your frame ... dynamics would be different if it were more towards the right, I think.

I would certainly apply the clone tool to the two sticks in the background. They may have been there in reality, but don't help the photo any, and it does not alter reality soooo much if you take them away from your photo, I think.

One thing that I am not sure about is whether you can really do much about the contrasts here ... the sky is on the brink of getting blown out in parts... best leave that alone.

What bothers me more than that, though, is the fact that not all of the rope is inside your frame. There you have an extra element to a fence post photo and it is not all to be seen. :( And there would have been room to move the camera a little and get it all...

And I think I'd have placed the whole post/rope-constellation more towards the right of the frame. It is not ALL centred but quite close to the middle of your frame ... dynamics would be different if it were more towards the right, I think.

ill keep those two pointers in mind, the pole isnt going anywhere anytime soon, ill try to get it better.

the comp seems confused... is it centered? is it offset? ... and the horizontal fence wire cuts it in half... hmmm...
i'd crop it over so the post is more on the right side... like 2/3 of the way over.. and maybee cut off some of the bottom to get rid of that cut in half look... but thats just cropping... the photo strikes me.. i don't know why.... seems like social injustice or something... has the vibe of revolution... weird? theres a 1/3 rule that painters use in composing a painting.. kind of a cheap trick but if you mentally divide a picture into thirds and keep your 'subject' along one of those lines or better yet get the main subject at an intersection it lets the eye wanderaround.. whereas placing the subject in the center ,horisontally or vertically, has the effect of cutting it in half and is a somewhat stagnant feel. theres no winner just 2 equal halves at opposition... hope that makes sence

no message. the image doesnt imply anything. maybe thats why its boring. someone said something about not being exactly centered or too close to centered, i agree. its like you were trying to center it, but failed. the angle you shot at is not very interesting either. try to stand further back and use the post as a minor element...

Most reactions

Back