To buy, or not buy. That is the question!

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Nikon is selling Refurbished D810's for $1,999.95 for the next 4 days. Ends on the 24th. The 25th is Nikon's birthday and everyone involved with rumors says they will be announcing the 810's replacement on the 25th. I am anticipating that to be $3,500 and be several months before actually on market. And you will be inline for them as well. Not sure if I'm willing to pay $3,500 for one. Right now with the lenses I just bought.

Now I have a D800 and a D600. I would like a third full frame as a spare. Sometimes two of us are taking pictures and we carry a D300 as emergency. Technically as long as the D810 refurb is fully opperational the D800 will probably drop to spare status. D600 is better in low light of all of them.

To buy or not to buy???

Also D750's for $1,399.95. D7200 $749.95. All refurbished models. This is from Nikon's site.

D810's are going for around this price ($1800 - $2100) on eBay, so you don't really have to rush into this. Used D810's may drop a little farther if a replacement is announced or released. Buying used is pretty safe. If its presented as working and it doesn't work you can get your money back regardless of the seller's stated return policy. Normally sellers are clear about any blemishes because they can get burned if they misrepresent what they are selling. Anyway, cameras are tools so if they get the job done, who cares what they look like.

D810's are going for around this price ($1800 - $2100) on eBay, so you don't really have to rush into this. Used D810's may drop a little farther if a replacement is announced or released. Buying used is pretty safe. If its presented as working and it doesn't work you can get your money back regardless of the seller's stated return policy. Normally sellers are clear about any blemishes because they can get burned if they misrepresent what they are selling. Anyway, cameras are tools so if they get the job done, who cares what they look like.

Yea, I have purchased quite a bit of used photo equipment. I was just now leaning towards the D7200 though. An updated crop sensor might be useful. And the performance of the D7200 is much better than our standby D300. And that's not so hard a price to swallow if I do get a new D8xx in the next 6 months.

I dunno...I passed on a used D800e with 1.004 click for $1,200 abouyt three weeksd ago...I think $2k is too much, personally, but I am a cheapskate. I prefer used to refurbished, esp. if the click count is low. Still, I do like the 51-point AF system, which the 810 has.

I NEVER worry about future cameras.

I dunno...I passed on a used D800e with 1.004 click for $1,200 abouyt three weeksd ago...I think $2k is too much, personally, but I am a cheapskate. I prefer used to refurbished, esp. if the click count is low. Still, I do like the 51-point AF system, which the 810 has.

I'm not one to have to have the next greatest, best thing going. I have been buying cameras like I do with software. I usually skip a model. Like with Photoshop I would skipp a version and get the one after. I think I have decided to cool my jets. I have nothing in the works that I would need to bring 3 cameras with me. I have the D3300 and it could be pressed into duty if it had to. If I get down to the D40x then you know I'm in trouble. :aiwebs_016: So I already have 3 fairly new bodies that perform well, and 5 working digitals total.

It's just that smell of new electronics in the morning. :pimp:

Viewed strictly as image-making machines, there's really not a dud in the bunch. Nikon's prosumer-and-up DX+FX cameras--occasional recalls aside--are great value, especially as warrantied-up refurbs. Seems we're lounging on a technological plateau now that's likely to hold for a spell, so getting the mostest for the leastest isn't crazy provided you honestly know what you need.

D810 is an AMAZING camera, but for me fact a replacement is coming soon means I will never think about it but 2K$ for it, MAN that's tempting and no matter how good it replacement will be the D810 will still be an AMAZING camera.

Sure ya don't want a D750? Bought mine on 5/12 and it's just sitting around because I got a second d500... :)

Sure ya don't want a D750? Bought mine on 5/12 and it's just sitting around because I got a second d500... :)

Hahaha, I was considering the D750. If you want to send me yours so it gets used some. I am fine by that. :1219:

Boom! My view as well! I bought my D800, used, from adorama with a low shutter count, warranty, etc.. it was a couple years back, but saved me a ton. I haven't outgrown it yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back