to buy or not to buy....THAT IS MY QUESTION!

leastephens1980

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok so my boyfriend wants to buy me a camera and i am stuck between the canon sx10 IS and the olympus e420....:banghead: any thoughts? i have read up on both of them and they both seem to be very complimented. i do not have much experince in photography but would like something that i can learn with.....

although the specs look good on that, i would like something that i can play around more with, get more zoom and focus with. this has been a passion of mine to start for some time now and i have take some decent photos with just a simple, older point and shoot and even my crappy megxon x3. these are the 2 cameras i have narrowed it down to..... but thanks for the input:hug::

explain play around more with? like offering more flexibility to control the shutter and aperture or.........?

whats the price range, just get something entry level. xt?d40?

Ive got a D40, as a beginner I find it good. OK the kit lens is limiting. Not sure how much your spending but if the D40 is less id spend the difference on a bigger lens if zoom is important to you.

Ive got a D40, as a beginner I find it good. OK the kit lens is limiting. Not sure how much your spending but if the D40 is less id spend the difference on a bigger lens if zoom is important to you.
yea, if you can get the 2 lens outfit. will run you likr 550, and comes with the 18-55 and 55-200

ok so my boyfriend wants to buy me a camera and i am stuck between the canon sx10 IS and the olympus e420....:banghead: any thoughts?
You're looking at two totally different types of cameras...one is an advanced super zoom P&S and the other is a DSLR (a very small one).
i have read up on both of them and they both seem to be very complimented. i do not have much experince in photography but would like something that i can learn with.....
The E420 will be more versatile because you can change lenses. And image quality will be better because DSLRs have a larger image sensor than P&S cameras...bigger is better when it comes to the image sensor. Another advantage that DSLRs have over P&S cameras is they can lock focus faster and have no shutter lag.

If you're interested in photography and want to really see how far you can go with it, get a DSLR.

If you just want to capture memories and moments in time, get a P&S camera.

Last edited:
thank you very much samanax!your to the point answer has helped me make my decision!i will go with the olympus! i was leaning that way as well because of the lens options. i found one at my local maijer store on sale for &399.00 and when i got home and looked at other places prices, i think its a steal!:thumbup:

thank you very much samanax!your to the point answer has helped me make my decision!i will go with the olympus! i was leaning that way as well because of the lens options. i found one at my local maijer store on sale for &399.00 and when i got home and looked at other places prices, i think its a steal!:thumbup:

just get a D40. its cheap and it will get you into slr's and take better shots than a point and shoot. If you're really interested in photography that point and shoot will be junk to you in a year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back