To buy or not to buy the Kodak AZ521

Gibman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum as I have taken an interest in photography.

I would like to start a new thread by asking a question about a specific camera.

I have asked Santa for a camera for Christmas and even though I have read many good reviews about the camera I would like to hear from you guys what you think would be the ultimate decision for me to go ahead with the gift or not.

i have asked for a bridge camera kodak AZ521, I am really keen for the fact that it has a 52X zoom so that I can take pictures of London and in particular close ups and scenery where London has many to offer. I would also like to take portrait pictures. The downside is that it can get a little bit noisy in dark light, but I would love to take pictures of London, by night. So not too sure there.
The budget is roughly the same as the Kodak (£150).

Should I get this camera or is there another camera out there that can outdo the Kodak and have the same price tag ?

thank you very much.

Dont know this camera so I cant comment on it but from the ISO rating of this camera I say better save your money to buy something more serious then spend it on an inferior camera.
Basic DSLR like Nikon D3100 is worth the extra cash.

Just my 2c

If it's a Superzoom you're interested in, a Sony HX300 might be worth a look. It's equipped with a Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens, and actually does pretty well in my technologically inept (but otherwise wonderful) in laws' hands. Quite impressed with that little camera. If it fits your budget, might be something to consider.

Though I do agree that a basic DSLR might be worth the extra cash, I would guess that new it would be more than your budget. Perhaps the used market might be the place to look? Photographers are always upgrading and switching equipment for other equipment, so there's usually a pretty good selection of used stuff out there. My one bit of real advice: try to find something you won't look at in a year and say "Wow, I wish I would have bought XXX instead."

Hi everyone,
I have just joined this forum as I have taken an interest in photography.

I would like to start a new thread by asking a question about a specific camera.

I have asked Santa for a camera for Christmas and even though I have read many good reviews about the camera I would like to hear from you guys what you think would be the ultimate decision for me to go ahead with the gift or not.

i have asked for a bridge camera kodak AZ521, I am really keen for the fact that it has a 52X zoom so that I can take pictures of London and in particular close ups and scenery where London has many to offer. I would also like to take portrait pictures. The downside is that it can get a little bit noisy in dark light, but I would love to take pictures of London, by night. So not too sure there.
The budget is roughly the same as the Kodak (£150).

Should I get this camera or is there another camera out there that can outdo the Kodak and have the same price tag ?

thank you very much.

I guess the first question to ask yourself is are you going to be using the camera occasionally, or is this something you believe will be a serious hobby for you in which you'll be using the camera a lot? If you think this will be something that you'll just be doing occasionally then certainly a "suzperzoom" like the AZ521 would probably be a good purchase for you. You could purchase a tripod and use longer exposure times for the "nightscapes" and get usable results. However the thing to consider about a superzoom is that whatever you buy, well that's what you have - other than adding an accessory or two once you outgrow your current setup you'll have to buy a whole new setup.

At the moment even a low end DSLR is going to be more than your listed budget, however if you think you're going to be getting into photography as a serious hobby it would most likely be a better option for you in the long run. It's something that once you start using it you can grow into and as you need more capabilities you can add additional lenses, etc. So over the short term the bridge camera would probably be an attractive option and will probably suit your needs at least initially. If your looking at more of a long term investment the DSLR would most likely be the better option even if you had to save up a bit and wait before making the purchase.

Most reactions

Back