To crop or not to crop?

I will repeat: I couldn’t care less if you are colorblind. Why should I?

Should I judge your photos differently because you are colorblind? I don’t think so. And your announcing that you are is a way to tell us we should, me think. If not, please explain to us what we are supposed to get out of it. The friendly would most definitely need some explaining…

Again, if you post on a photo forum, be ready for your photos to be judged and C&Ced as photos. Just like everyone else’s photos. It is your right to not like this but it is not your right to tell us how to look at your work.

I don’t care one bit what you think of my name but it has nothing to do with my photos, unlike your sig. Color blindness is directly related to photography but in no way does it relate to how I should react to your work.

As for the second half of my response, sorry if you don’t get it but this is not Hollywood. No multiple choice endings here. You, as the artist, pick what it is you want to say and say it.

If you can’t decide what it is you want to say, it is not my/our problem. If you don’t know what you want to say, maybe you need to get back to the basics.

Why do I shoot photos?

Cheers c.cloudwalker, appreciate the time you put into repeating yourself (in a lengthier manner). I've told you what I think and if you can't read or simply are too thick to understand that I'M HERE TO LEARN that is entirely your problem. I asked for some advice, I never asked you to care about whether I'm colorblind or not, my signature is a JOKE (admittedly, not a good one), but it's a joke nonetheless and it's something you certainly haven't heard in a while considering your temper. Again, it's just a crop. My initial hesitation was based on the following: personally I preferred the uncropped version, however I found the back of the lady's head in the right bottom corner slightly distracting. I therefore thought I would seek some more expert opinions.
Once again, you haven't done anything to help and I would appreciate it if you would stop badgering me with such useless comments based solely on my signature.
You have officially been promoted from "a bit of an arrogant jerk" to "Major General Jerk" (not my words by the way...that's right, it seems you've made some enemies here in the past). Seriously man, I think you may need a girlfriend, boyfirend or maybe just a simple love session with yourself. Have a beer with your mates and if you don't have any go out and try to make some friends (I suggest you don't treat them the same as people on this forum).

"I shoot photos" because it's fun and I simply enjoy lookng at "aesthetically pleasing images". If I wanted to tell a story I'd write a BOOK!
In conclusion.....There is nothing dumber than internet arguments, even if you win you end up looking like an idiot.

Last edited:
Seriously man, I think you may need a girlfriend, boyfirend or maybe just a simple love session with yourself. Have a beer with your mates and if you don't have any go out and try to make some friends (I suggest you don't treat them the same as people on this forum).
You're my TPF hero for the week!

Cloudwalker might have to get some surgery to get that big ol' stick out of his ass. Or get one in there if that's what pleases him. :sexywink:

I look forward to seeing more of your work, Drealy. :)

Uh Oh...I'm in the minority here. But I like the cropped photo better. To me ( and I haven't a clue what I'm talking about...ask my wife), the un-cropped background distracts my eyes a bit. As for exposure and the technical stuff...again, not a clue. To me photos are like music. I like what I like, and that is it. And I do enjoy your photo. Thanks!

Seriously man, I think you may need a girlfriend, boyfirend or maybe just a simple love session with yourself. Have a beer with your mates and if you don't have any go out and try to make some friends (I suggest you don't treat them the same as people on this forum).
You're my TPF hero for the week!
HAHA! Thanks Big!
Cloudwalker might have to get some surgery to get that big ol' stick out of his ass. Or get one in there if that's what pleases him. :sexywink:

I look forward to seeing more of your work, Drealy. :)
Thanks Fleix, I really appreciate all the feedback and support you've given me! Theres more to come so sit tight, I'll keep shooting until I get shot...
Uh Oh...I'm in the minority here. But I like the cropped photo better. To me ( and I haven't a clue what I'm talking about...ask my wife), the un-cropped background distracts my eyes a bit. As for exposure and the technical stuff...again, not a clue. To me photos are like music. I like what I like, and that is it. And I do enjoy your photo. Thanks!
Thanks blakjak but I'm going to have to go with the general consensus here and leave it uncropped. I completely agree that photos (as well as other art forms) should be appreciated for the feelings they induce on an immediate basis. I'm not saying that one shouldn't analyse the techniques and style incorporated but over-analysis sometimes detracts from the beauty portayed in these works.

I like the 1st. In that, you see a man. In the cropped, you see some glasses. Just my .02.

Well, I definitely like the shot better uncropped. I will say this though, I think I would like it better if it was an actual B&W rather and perhaps a little more contrast than the somewhat dirty sepia look. If you want me to I'll edit it with the look I'm talking about, just let me know.

UNCROPPED, I laughed when I saw this. As for the beef in the thread, just as Cloudwalker states, you are the artist you decide, this is very true and I couldn't agree more but photography is about communication as is this forum and is anyone who sees your photo and if you want input (as you requested) there it is!

Now onto more important questions, who does this guy remind me of? I think it's the dad from The Wonder Years...

Well, I definitely like the shot better uncropped. I will say this though, I think I would like it better if it was an actual B&W rather and perhaps a little more contrast than the somewhat dirty sepia look. If you want me to I'll edit it with the look I'm talking about, just let me know.
Thanks NateWagner, appreciate the feedback but peronally I like it as it is. I like sepia and I'm not a big fan of very contrasted images, I believe it has enough contrast as it is.
UNCROPPED, I laughed when I saw this. As for the beef in the thread, just as Cloudwalker states, you are the artist you decide, this is very true and I couldn't agree more but photography is about communication as is this forum and is anyone who sees your photo and if you want input (as you requested) there it is!

Now onto more important questions, who does this guy remind me of? I think it's the dad from The Wonder Years...
Ha! He does! as far as the whole debate debacle goes, all I wanted to say was that I am an amateur and therefore hesitated a bit. I don't have enough photographic experience to discern this sort of stuff on my own. Thanks AverageJoe.

Last edited:
I think the first picture looks way cooler. The rest of the scene to the right really makes him seem more static in a moving world. Great expression and the composition is very nice.

I'm not even going to quote Cloudwalker, I'm pretty sure that his ridiculous comments are still fresh in the mind of anyone who has had the bad luck of coming across them. The only other post I had on this site was one questioning the motives of people like Cloudwalker. His outrageous comments warrant another one: What is your malfunction? Your comments were completely useless and offensive. Do you think that your opinion is worth reading? Why did you tell him that his question is not your problem? That doesn't even make sense. Why do you think that his signature mentioning that he's colorblind is a request to not judge his black and white photograph by the same standards as everyone else? That's totally illogical. It really concerns me that Cloudwalker is in the class of TPF Junkie, the class from which I'd most likely be looking for advice. Sorry to bust in on your thread with this crap. I suppose if I ever did look for advice here the only feedback I'd get would be like this and I'd spend way too much time and mental energy writing useless posts like I am now.

Keep at it Dreali. You obviously know how to use a camera very well, and it seems as if you have an eye for the non-forensic as well.

Unfortunate the first reply had to be so harsh and ... unhelpful at best. I agree that the uncropped gives the photo more feeling.

BTW is that guy about to hurt you? He looks ominous :pale:

Most reactions

Back