To Formally learn or not?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Do'Urden's Eyes, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Right now i am in the midst of changing my post secondary program from a Commerce degree to an Arts degree, primarily english. I have been seriously considering declaring my minor in photography but have my doubts. One, i dont feel that my pictures are really 'university level' yet. But im not really sure if that matters. Thats actually my only doubt as of now. I mean, i really enjoy photography and plan to keep it with me for life and taking these courses would really help with my, for now, hobby. I guess my real question here is: Do i need to be phenomenal to begin with to succeed in this concentration? keep in mind it is a MINOR and wont be my primary concern.

I'd really appreciate some solid input on this. I know its been a while.
    thanks guys.

2. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have no solid input, but your lens choices say go for it!

-Shea

3. rdzmzda

rdzmzda TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ah well lets see the fact that you dont think you are university level shouldnt matter....look at it like this....when you take engineering physics do you know what kinematics is first....more than likely not (oh hey guess my major haha) anyways what im trying to get at is they will teach you and you wont all of a sudden be in there without having worked your way up

4. You become "phenomenal" - or at least better - by surrounding yourself with other people following the same interests.

Yes, declare it as a minor. I did, and it's the best thing I ever did - twenty years ago.

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree - if you have the option go for it!
    Structured learning and association with others who share similar interests is a fantastic thing and will definatly help you learn more. Also courses will force you to shoot diffentent events and sights than you might pick yourself which will give you a broader range of skills to draw from.

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What *is* university level pictures? Never heard of it before... lol No, it 101% does NOT matter. In the space of a year, a 15 year old boy went from "I know almost nothing" to a millionaire and one of America's most well known photographers. Look up "Joey Lawrence".

IF said it best that when you surround yourself with people of like interest, your learning speed catapults. Even if it is not your major, I would go for it if I was in your shoes. Nothing wrong with this at all.

Anthony Robbins (someone who's courses I have been using for years successfully) also said something very similar to "surround yourself with successful people and you cannot help BUT become successful yourself".

This basic concept is VERY true and VERY effective.

Have a little more confidence... it helps. ;)

7. ACrossley

ACrossley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I majored in English and minored in photography. I thought of photography more of a hobby in college and way of earning a little cash as a second shooter for weddings.

I went on to get my masters in education. I am teaching high school English and doing my photography on the side. Personally, I wish I had invested whole-heartedly in this to begin with. I have decided to quit teaching after this year and give photography my all ... whatever that may be.

You have to do what is best for you. I loved my English classes as well. I just have more confidence about going with a riskier road now. Teaching was a nice box that seemed safe ......

I hope this helps and does not come across as MY life story! LOL

8. Do'Urden's Eyes

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I find input from you guys a lot more helpful then the other people i used to take advice from, parents mostly. I mean, i started out in a Bcomm because i could, and i liked the part where i get a well paying job at the end. And thats what i was told was important from when i started high school.

And after doing two years of marketing i realized its bullsh*t. And its definitely not for me. My parents still dont see the value in switching programs, and think that a minor in photography is a waste. Meaning i could study more useful courses.

Anyways thanks. i think im mostly just nervous about it.

i think ill do it, no regrets.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Remember parents often want what's (in their view) best for their child. Photography is not like an essential skill like electrician or plumber where work demand is always around and nor is it a highflying job that pays high saleries (generally speaking there are - of course - exceptions).
    Also with a recession on the cards getting into photography as a job might be a lot harder as people get a bit tighter on the finances and restrict their luxuries.

I - personally - feel that a job ain't worth doing if your miserable at doing it. There is nothing worse than living your life till 60 doing a job you hate waking up for just because it pays a high salery. Go for your interests and you will have more energy and actually enjoy your working time - though accept that your path might not easy nor rich (though I have yet to see anyone walk an easy way through life)

10. Do'Urden's Eyes

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And thats exactly my point Overread. I dont think money will be a huge issue in the future. Most of MY disposable income will probably go towards photography anyways.