To Increase Ram Or Not To Increase Ram....

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by smoke665, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Lightroom does worse with more cores. Anything over 4 core is diminishing returns for LR: Adobe Lightroom CC/6 Multi Core Performance

More RAM will only help if you're running out of RAM. Open Task Manager, click performance, and see how much of your 8GB your system is using with LR open.

SSD is good.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. bratkinson

bratkinson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Per the above article, more cores generally equates to slower clock rates (individual processor speed) to maintain both price points and limitations of cooling. That's especially true on laptops due to their very limited CPU cooling capabilities. CPU manufacturers have designed separate lines of cool-running processors primarily for use in laptops. Slower clock speeds are the easiest means to keep things cool.

That's why I do all my photo editing using a tower computer I built a couple years ago using an 8 processor AMD FX-8370 overclocked to 4.7 ghz. (It's really easy using 2 steps faster RAM than the MOBO requires!). Not to brag, but Lightroom is essentially 'no waiting' for everything I do until I've made maybe 3,000 total edits (SYNC across 100 photos of 5 changes = 500 separate edits to get stored, as each photo can be 'undone' individually), then I have to wait a bit for each change to get saved. I've always been a 'speed demon', first, cars, now, computers 50 years later!

3. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I had the FX-8320 clocked to 4.2 and LR was absolutely junk on it.

I finally swapped out the MB/CPU/RAM for the intel i7-7700k and there's no comparison between the two in terms of performance.

couldn't even watch 4k videos on the AMD...

4. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

FYI, there are "hybrid" hard disks where have the regular platters spinning and a SSD in one unit.
    They are in laptops and help you get a fast performance, with more cheaper storage. Such as this example ==> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...brid-hard-drive-black/5709801.p?skuId=5709801

per the above link
    "2-in-1 hybrid hard drive provides both size and speed
    Incorporates a large-capacity 1TB hard drive at 5400 rpm for ample storage, with 8GB of NAND Flash memory to speed up start times and accelerate frequently accessed data."