To keep up with technology, or keep your wallet happy...

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by K8-90, Jun 18, 2008.

1. K8-90

K8-90 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm interested to know what you think about this...

Hopefully, I will soon be purchasing my first DSLR. I have a choice between a cheaper, entry type camera (Canon XSi) and a more advanced one (Canon 40D). However. Technology is changing so much, and fast. I know I will want to upgrade to the newer technology, even if my current camera is still good/working.

My question is - how often do you guys upgrade your cameras? Are you careful with your money, and only buy when you *need* (ie. your camera is toast)? Or do you keep up with ever changing technology?

Thanks!

2. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the 40d was out and the xsi was about to be released but i opted for the 30d, because I wanted a camera that would last me and teach me, eventually I hope that the 30d will become my backup camera when I start shooting proffesionally.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm still shooting with a couple of 20D cameras. They are a bit behind in terms of 'modern' technology but they get the job done just fine. Remember, it's the photographer, not the gear, that counts.

When the 30D came out, I had very little inclination to upgrade as the differences were minor...however, the 40D was more of a complete redesign and I would buy one of those today (if I could).

Technology is always moving pretty fast...and I don't think that it's necessary to always be on the cutting edge. Some of the upgrades are more useful than others...and if a newer model has something newer/better that will make your life/job easier...then it's probably worth the upgrade (or at least easier to make the justification).

As for the XSi vs the 40D...that is a matter of different levels. The 40D is a step above in many aspects...but image quality is probably pretty close.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well the camera body I say is the low point on the budget marker. The best place to spend your hard earned money is on better lenses - stick canon L lenses on low end bodies and you can take shots that will stand up to those captured on top end bodies:
    http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/galleries/fauna-geese_and_ducks_of_racconigi.htm
    examples there (the 350D being the first of the digital rebel series of cameras)
    However the skill of the photographer in charge of the equipment is the most important part, but I would say save on the body and spend on the lenses.
    However I understand that that top end rebel at the moment is almost the same as the 40D in cost - with that choice now I would say go for the 40D over the rebel

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 300D was the first ;)

6. saltface

saltface TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My Rebel Ti just got all warm and fuzzy (Ti, not XTi).

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    QUICK take out the battery you have a short circuit in there somewhere ;)

8. saltface

saltface TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That took me a moment. I thought you were talking about a known defect. LOL

9. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most pros buy a new camera every 2 to 3 years.

skieur

10. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bought the XTi, but next year after tax season, I am going to upgrade. The lenses and skill are more important then the body, IMO.

11. K8-90

K8-90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know it's the photographer that makes the picture - I have an quaintance with a 40D that is just hopeless... But having the right gear is nonetheless a large part of it.

I am I right in saying that most of you do not upgrade too often, but would if you could? So changing technology doesn't phase you?

I am trying to make a good, well informed decision on my purchase. I have researched the life out of it, even giving the sales people a run for their money. I just don't want to regret my choice...

Thanks for the input!

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually technology doesn't change that quickly. I have a D200 and plenty of spare capital at the moment, but no desire at all to go out and grab the D300.

Incremental changes in bodies are often small at the lower-mid range of the spectrum. Maybe in 2 years I'll get a D400 or one of those rumoured D10s.

It won't make me a better photographer but by then my D200 is likely broken and not obsolete.