To speedlight or not to speedlight...

guahanweb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.guahanweb.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I have been contemplating getting a hotshoe flash for my Nikon D90, and I have been trying to find one that is affordable but will give me enough features to really start expanding my range of shots.

I have been looking at the Nikon Speedlight SB series, and I have been leaning towards the SB 600, since it's quite a bit lower in price, and it still offers some interesting features like remote mounting and other controls along with having an incredibly high user rating.

Does anyone here have one or have input on another flash to consider? This is a totally new arena for me, so I want to be sure to put my right foot forward.

Thanks!

The SB-600 is a fine flash. You can't go wrong with it. I prefer the SB-800, but still think the 600 is a great flash to start off with.

The SB-600 is a fine flash. You can't go wrong with it. I prefer the SB-800, but still think the 600 is a great flash to start off with.

Thanks for the input. What would you say are the major noticeable differences between the 600 and 800? The price is only about $100 difference some of the places I'm looking, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra hundred or so.

Hmmm... of the top of my head it would be the obvious additional power, next would be the fact that the SB-800 can act as a master and finally the menu on the SB-800 is much more intuitive IMO. The fact that it also come with the added 5th battery for quicker recycling time, the diffuser and two gels doesn't hurt either.

I just ordered my second SB-800, used from Adorama, and should arrive on Friday. Hopefully with the three I can have something come out of the camera worth a damn. :lol:

Hmmm... of the top of my head it would be the obvious additional power, next would be the fact that the SB-800 can act as a master and finally the menu on the SB-800 is much more intuitive IMO. The fact that it also come with the added 5th battery for quicker recycling time, the diffuser and two gels doesn't hurt either.

I just ordered my second SB-800, used from Adorama, and should arrive on Friday. Hopefully with the three I can have something come out of the camera worth a damn. :lol:

Awesome. I'll definitely have to look into it, then. I know at some point, I'll want to have a second, so starting with one as a master wouldn't be a bad thing.

I haven't read one review or comparison of the SB-600 and SB-800 that could justify the extra couple of hundred dollars in price for the SB-800 over the SB-600, especiallyl for the beginner. I have the SB-600, and I really like it. So far it's been very impressive, and it recycles plenty fast enough with the 4 AA batteries it takes.

Unless, as was said above, you are going to to master/slave flash setups.

Most reactions

Back