To those who shoot in raw...

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Of all the pictures you take around town or just to take pictures and get better. What happens to some of the images you dont like. Do you still process them and export to JPEG? Most of the images I take are around my house and I dont plan on making prints of them. I mostly shoot in RAW when I plan on making a print.

Do any of you shoot in RAW even if your not going to make a print or post online? Just for messing around etc...

For the people who do shoot in raw, when do you and when do you not shoot in raw.

Also what percentage of the pictures you shoot in raw, do you actually process them in photoshop or something similar.

Of all the pictures you take around town or just to take pictures and get better. What happens to some of the images you dont like. Do you still process them and export to JPEG? Most of the images I take are around my house and I dont plan on making prints of them. I mostly shoot in RAW when I plan on making a print.

Do any of you shoot in RAW even if your not going to make a print or post online? Just for messing around etc...

For the people who do shoot in raw, when do you and when do you not shoot in raw.

Also what percentage of the pictures you shoot in raw, do you actually process them in photoshop or something similar.

The ones I don't like get tossed, no sense in keeping them.

The only time I shoot in RAW is if I'm shooting portraits or weddings. Usually if the photo shoot is of great importance then I shoot in RAW. If I'm taking snapshots of the kids then it gets done in JPG.

All my images, whether JPG or RAW get processed (color correcting, exposure, etc.) in Lightroom. I also add any EXIF or ITPC data in Lightroom. Then if there's any enhancing or retouching to be done, it gets done in Photoshop. When I do shoot RAW, I convert from RAW and right to JPG. I don't see the reason for converting to TIFF and then to JPG. Don't need the extra time in front of the computer. Time is money.

Last edited:
I always use RAW, and never delete anything. I only convert the ones i will print and then to a TIFF file.

I always make 4 backup copies of each image.

The editing process may occur in several different editing programs, from the manufactor version to PS, just depends on what i do , or need to do.

i delete OOF and black frames, the rest I keep. the ones I like, I convert to JPEG or TIFF, then the final processing, and finally, I try to get people to look at them.

The ones I don't like get tossed, no sense in keeping them.

Same here... Seems like the only logical answer to me.

I always use RAW, and never delete anything. I only convert the ones i will print and then to a TIFF file.

Really? You *never* delete anything? And keep 4 backup copies? Where do you keep the backups? That sounds like it takes up a LOT of unneeded space to me.

I shoot everything in RAW -- I just convert those I'm specifically working with (printing, posting, etc.).

The editing process may occur in several different editing programs, from the manufactor version to PS, just depends on what i do , or need to do.
I do not delete anything either. I keep it on my external hard drive and any paid shoots I back up the original untouched raw photos on a dvd also. I mostly use CS3 for my editing and Yes I use raw all of the time. I don't want to regret a photo that I wish I had a little more controll over as far as post exposure. I love how much more editing options there is with a raw photo!

But how can you be so good, so perfect, so... right on that you NEVER delete ANYTHING??

Also, what specifically are you referring to that you're doing with RAW that can't be done with jpg? I only ask because there is a LOT of misconception re: how much better RAW is, even though I continue to shoot with it.

But how can you be so good, so perfect, so... right on that you NEVER delete ANYTHING??

Also, what specifically are you referring to that you're doing with RAW that can't be done with jpg? I only ask because there is a LOT of misconception re: how much better RAW is, even though I continue to shoot with it.

It is not that every shot is perfect believe me every shot is not perfect. But you never know what editing advances might come about in the future. Also how do you learn if you can go back to a photo and go ok I took these photos with these settings what did I do wrong?? If a photo doesn't turn out you did something wrong, have the crappy photo with the exif data help you learn from your mistakes.
With raw you can actually change your exposure with a photo editing program like CS3 or DPP. With a jpg once you take the photo your exposure settings are pretty much set, you can mess with curves, shadows or a few other settings. But I have got my best results so far with raw photos and believe me I am no were near perfect so I love the fact that I can play with that exposure a little with raw. I believe it is better because of more flexibility as far as editing. Oh and the fact that you can change the color balance after you took the photo I love. If you mistakenly leave you white balance on sun and it is shady the photos may turn out with a color cast and it is really easy to fix the raw photos.
Now as far as being able to print larger I have yet to find a printer that will except a raw file so I have to convert to jpg anyway to print. I think that may change in some time though.

I couldn't live without raw. It makes your photos look so much better, and it gives so many more photoshop options.

I couldn't live without raw. It makes your photos look so much better, and it gives so many more photoshop options.

raw makes your photos look better? If unprocessed my raw images are worse than my camera body produced JPG images. :)

I always shoot RAW, unless I'm using a camera that doesn't have it.

The only time I delete any of them is when storage space starts getting tight. Then I start with the oldest ones, burn CDs or DVDs, then delete the originals. I'm kinda scared to delete anything at all now though, because some of my back-up disks don't work now (the disk from when my daughter was born, for one....:grumpy::grumpy:).

I guess I should delete some of the really bad ones, but I just hate deleting stuff...

I only process the ones I like. I used to process them to TIFFs, but now I just do JPG. If I ever find that I really need a TIFF, I can just re-process it. I don't do much editing that can't be done in Lightroom before processing, so for now I have no need for TIFF.

prodigy2k7 said:
raw makes your photos look better? If unprocessed my raw images are worse than my camera body produced JPG images. :)
I guess it depends on the camera. I prefer that I be the one to decide what processing an image gets, not the camera. Some point & shoot cameras I've used go way over the top with saturation (with no RAW, and no option in the menus to alter the processing it gets), and if you're starting out with an over-saturated picture it's hard to make it look right.

I delete nothing, as Chris says storage is cheap, there is no reason to throw away anything.

BTW, lets try and not go down the RAW Vs Jpeg debate again please, there are other threads for that.

Since I've taken digital photos, I've gone the "don't delete anything"-path.
And as of January 2007, I've taken just about everything in RAW, just not processed everything - unless I know I need to have a very fast workflow, 'cause people expect to get their photos asap, or I know my cards won't last with the large RAW files.

But only yesterday have I taken out one of my RAM-DVDs with the original files on them, and I whinced and wiggled in my chair over WHAT HORRORS I am saving and storing. I mean ... :shock: why??? Why don't I delete those horrible photos? I haven't missed them in years. Why keep them?

I might go and do a thorough clean-up soon! Those HORRORS that are there :pale: - let them be GONE FOR GOOD.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back